Busy schedule can impede efforts to get healthy

I hope that you all are tuning in to this week’s update in hopes that it will be full of good news and positive vibes that this project is going really well and we’re developing a Lifetime made-for-TV movie.

But you will find none of those feelings on this page. I’ve only been at this for four weeks, and I’m already ready to call it quits.

The hardest part, thus far, hasn’t been the workouts as much as fitting time into my schedule to eat and work out. I believe that if I’m truly to reach my weight goal, these two things will have to become my main focus.

Unfortunately for my now-deceased social life, I’ve found that this hasn’t been the easiest thing to do when I also have heaps of schoolwork to worry about.

Deciding to bring my weight to 150 pounds was easy and mildly arbitrary. My favorite number is 15, which when doubled equals 30. I weighed 120 pounds at the time that I envisioned this undertaking. One hundred and fifty kind of has a 15 in it.

On a side note, my nickname on the basketball court is “The Rainman,” and I’m starting to see that this is going to my head in more ways than one.

Anyway, saying that reaching 150 is what I’m setting out to do won’t amount to much until I can step on the scale and see that the monotonous heavy lifting and eating to the point of discomfort has paid off in the accomplishment of a goal.

None of this complaining is meant to imply that I literally plan on quitting. At this point, I’ve consumed far too many plates of Nelson Dining Hall pasta and ordered late-night Wings Over too often to feel remotely comfortable with the prospect.

Besides, the few weeks I’ve spent in the gym are already paying off in terms of my weight, physique and mood.

I have some semblance of pectoral muscles for the first time in my life, and I’ve managed to gain at least seven pounds as I now tip the scale at 133. To top it off, I’m starting to notice that I’m less groggy in the morning because I’m able to fall asleep at a more decent hour each night.

Although, I’m a sucker for shortcuts and it’d probably be easier for me to reach 150 if we just changed the name of the column to “Jake Gets Fat” and uploaded a live, daily feed of me constantly gorging at the dining halls, in class, in bed, etc.

Jake is a junior studying journalism and a stringer for The Post. Offer him workout tips at jd202409@ohiou.edu.