Building 26, the former TB Ward, on The Ridges was demolished during spring break of the 2012-13 school year. (File Photo) 

Changes in Ridges oversight committee prompt concern from local, state leaders

A state budget amendment headed to a vote would change who serves on Ohio University’s Ridges Advisory Committee and dissolves the university’s contractual obligation to convene the group — a rule established when OU first received the property in 1988.

Previous language specified OU’s president “shall” appoint the committee; the new provision replaces the word with “may.” The old description included an Athens township trustee, but the position was eliminated. However, an Athens trustee could be appointed in one of the three resident positions — fewer positions than the original committee.

“The purpose of the proposed changes is to update the committee’s reporting structure so that members are appointed by and advise the president. This change is more reflective of the University’s operational structure,” said OU spokesperson Katie Quaranta in a statement.

The committee was formed by OU’s Board of Trustees and mandated by the state to review the property and determine best uses for its buildings. It unofficially dissolved in 1991, but Athens residents asked OU officials to reconvene the group after the building previously known as the tuberculosis ward was demolished during spring break without the committee’s review, according to a previous Post article.

OU President Roderick McDavis vowed to reconvene the group, but he also began consulting OU’s General Counsel John Biancamano and Deputy General Counsel Nicolette Dioguardi on how to change the language of the committee’s structure.

OU’s Office of Legal Affairs then asked County Commissioner Charlie Adkins to review the amendment.

"The bottom line is that (The Ridges) doesn’t belong to the city of Athens, it belongs to the university,” he said. “I’m not going to give my right to anyone but President McDavis to make the final decision or create the committee for the county, so I didn’t expect him to give anyone else that power.”

But some Athens residents said they were displeased with the university’s outreach.

Ron Luce, director of the Athens County Historical Society & Museum, said he was not told about the language’s changes.

Luce wrote a letter to McDavis asking if he could be included on the Ridges Advisory Committee more than a week ago, but McDavis did not respond.

McDavis received the letter and appreciated Luce’s concern, but Quaranta said he is waiting for the amendment to pass before appointing any committee members.

“I hope that whatever the committee is that (they) know (The Ridges) is recognized as one of the most endangered historic sites in Ohio, and I hope that they would start making repairs to stop the buildings from any further deterioration,” Luce said.

The amendment is also creating in upset in Columbus. Senator Chris Widener (R-10th), who serves on Senate’s education finance subcommittee, introduced the amendment to House Bill 59, but Senator Lou Gentile (D-Steubenville) who represents Athens Co. was not included in the discussion.

“Someone should have let me know about the language,” Gentile said. "It is my hope that the university will keep their word and convene to create the committee. At the end of the day, it's the university's decision and I hope they will do that under this language.”

The Senate is projected to vote June 6 on amended HB 59.  Quaranta said McDavis hopes to appoint members to the committee later this month.

dk123111@ohiou.edu

az346610@ohiou.edu