Student trustees disagree over voting rights, university remains silent

Ohio University’s two student trustees will join 12 other board members during their retreat on Thursday, but will not be casting votes despite efforts from student officials and state legislators.

A bill now sits in the Ohio House of Representatives that would give universities the ability to decide whether student trustees should have voting rights. Ohio University has yet to take a stance on the issue.

Currently spearheading Ohio’s efforts in support of student trustee voting rights are State Rep. Mike Duffey (R-Worthington) and Rep. Michael Stinziano (D-Columbus).

“(Student trustees) are called board members … but we are not giving them full authority or full voice,” Stinziano said. “I feel that having students’ voices on the board is important, but it is even more important to have those voices backed up with a vote.”

Ohio University’s board has 14 members — but students and national trustees don’t have voting rights.

Like many of OU’s previous student trustees, second-year Trustee Amanda Roden said she doesn’t believe OU’s student trustees need voting rights.

“I do believe that there is a conflict of interest between students voting on issues that will affect their tuition,” said Roden, a senior studying Spanish.

Roden’s first-year counterpart, Keith Wilbur, disagrees.

“I am going to push for whatever is best for the university,” Wilbur said. “I am hoping (the bill) gets through. I would love to be the first student trustee to be able to vote, but unfortunately it is up to the general assembly.”

Previous general assemblies have struggled to pass previous bills granting student trustee voting rights for a variety of reasons — Stinziano faulted lame duck sessions, opposition and lack of time.

But HB 111, as it is currently written, would mandate voting rights. Last year, HB 377, which granted mandatory voting rights, was killed after the Inter-University Council, an organization that represents Ohio’s public universities, objected.

“I really feel giving the (mandatory) vote is important,” Stinziano said. “With permissive we are stopping short and not hearing those (student) voices.”

OU Student Senate President, Nick Southall said he agrees.

“I think that if they are going to give us a spot at the table, why not cement that with a vote,” Southall said.

Senator Lou Gentile (D-Steubenville) said he is researching the subject and wasn’t knowledgeable enough to comment at press time.

oh211211@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock

This story has been edited to reflect the following correction:

The Post incorrectly printed yesterday that House Bill 111, as currently written, would establish student trustee voting as permissive. HB 377 would have established mandatory voting rights.