PoPo Huang dances on stage at the rehearsal for the Chinese New Year celebration. It was held at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium on Jan. 9, 2012. (Sam Owens | File)

Chinese organization faces 'constitutional crisis,' seeks to rebuild

When China “opened its doors” in the 1980s, students seeking an undergraduate degree rarely came to Ohio University; instead, graduate students were in the majority.

Those numbers have since changed.

With about 1,000 students hailing from China — the most of any other country — OU has less than 300 enrolled in graduate programs this academic year, a change that has affected Chinese student organizations, said Jim Zhu, faculty adviser of the Chinese Student Scholars Association and professor of electrical engineering and computer science.

“Previously the students from China were mostly graduate students … older, more mature. They come here with very clear goals and aspirations,” Zhu said. “(Some undergraduates) come here because they are economically capable, not necessarily because they are academically prepared (in English).”

This has affected the reputation of Chinese students on campus and contributed to some of the members’ attitudes on the Chinese Student Scholars Association, which is currently in a “constitutional crisis,” Zhu said.

Problems arose last year when the previous executive board did not follow constitutional mandates involved with selecting a new adviser and conducting elections, Zhu said.

“You represent the organization, you uphold the constitution, you execute the constitution … it’s not your own will,” Zhu said.

The organization is in the process of rewriting its constitution and electing new graduate and undergraduate presidents, which will take place online Wednesday. The newly elected student leaders will help guide the organization during this period, said Joe Cheng, a graduate student who is assisting the organization through the new elections.

“The previous leadership team failed to make an announcement saying that they need a new leadership team,” Cheng said.

Currently there is one candidate for each presidential position.

The new presidents will be among a number of people, including Jesse Neader, student organization coordinator for the Campus Involvement Center, who have been called on to assist the organization in the revamping of its constitution.

“There was a lot of difference between people, what the mission of the former organization and what new students were wanting to do with it,” Neader said. “It was not necessarily wrong; you just kind of have to redefine what the purpose of the organization is and/or start a new organization.”

The organization hopes to regain its prestige in the university and continue to serve as a link between the local community and Chinese students, Zhu said.

“Now we have a chance to really resurrect (the Chinese Student Scholars Association) and putting it back to its old glory,” Zhu said.

oh271711@ohiou.edu

@ohitchcock