Climate change program to benefit teachers, students

Ohio University faculty members across all departments have the chance to make a little extra cash if they teach about climate change.

The faculty has until Friday to apply to be a part of the university’s Kanawha Project, designed to “enhance the undergraduate curriculum through faculty professional development,” according to its website.

Those who integrate climate change into their courses this academic year will be provided with a $300 stipend.

The program is supported by a $20,000 grant from OU’s fundraised 1804 Fund and is designed to recruit 15 faculty and five undergraduate students from across disciplines.

The program, initially aimed at educating students and faculty on the importance of sustainability, has attracted about 60 faculty members in Athens and on regional campuses since its inception five years ago.

This year, the project will focus on expanding OU’s understanding of climate change and OU’s Climate Action Plan goals, said Loraine McCosker, research associate in the Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs, who will oversee this year’s program with Nancy Manring, associate professor of political science.

A faculty member in OU’s Communication Department, for example, who coordinates all public speaking classes in the department, assigned a project related to sustainability, McCosker said.

Faculty members will participate in a day-long workshop in early December and monthly dialogues from January to April concerning climate change.

Students are also encouraged to participate in the program and would be responsible for up to 10 hours of work a month and can be paid for their involvement, Manring said.

“The heart of the project is that the participating faculty members will revise an existing course syllabus to reflect climate change needs,” Manring said.

David Descutner, dean of the University College and co-manager of the 1804 Fund, said he believes making students aware of climate change is important for any university.

“The goal … is to develop a curiosity among first-year students so that they continue to take courses that treat these issues at a more advanced level,” Descutner said.

dd19571@ohiou.edu

@WillDrabold