Athens Community Center to receive renovations with $145,000 city loan

When it comes to the city of Athens’ debt, Mayor Paul Wiehl said the right kind can be worthwhile.

“It’s saving the city some money,” he said.

Athens City Council members announced at Monday night’s meeting they will be renewing the city’s $145,000 loan with Hocking Valley Bank after borrowing $356,000 in 2012 to make energy-efficient enhancements at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St.

Wiehl added that the investment has saved the city money on their energy bills, following installations of eco-friendly windows, heating equipment and lighting in the center.

Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, said that the city has been making payments each year on the environmental improvements.

Auditor Kathy Hecht is recommending that the city pay $75,000 toward the debt this year, and Knisely said she anticipates that next year’s payment will be similar.

“We’ll renew the loan for a year, and then a year from now we’ll see how much we can pay off of the $145,000 left,” Knisely said.

Appropriations were the most prominent item on Monday night’s agenda, with the city deciding to move $25,000 from it’s general fund to electric aggregation and more than $20,000 to the city’s DUI fund. The city’s house arrest fund will also be closed.

Knisely also said at the meeting that the city will be largely decreasing their funds in tourism, recreation and the clerk’s computer fund.

Furthermore, the city will be applying for an annual Community Development Block Grant in the coming weeks in anticipation of the year’s road and sewer projects, Knisely said.

“It allows the city to do a series of projects, particularly in low income areas,” she said, adding that the city will hold a number of hearings to gauge community feedback on what the money should be put toward.

Council President Jim Sands, who is also a part owner of Athens Flower Shop, 252 E. State St., was again a no-show at the meeting. He missed the meeting last week following a court order asking he pay $30,000 to the state after not complying with Ohio’s minimum wage laws.

According to court documents, the shop is accused of underpaying an employee more than $10,000.

Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, filled Sands’ shoes Monday evening, as he is the most senior council member. Butler said he expects Sands to return next week.

@eockerman

eo300813@ohiou.edu

This article originally appeared in print under the headline "City plans to renew loan for community center"