Student organization educates about tanning bed benefits and risks

As the temperature rises, so does many students’ desire for a sunkissed summer glow. Although some can spread a blanket across College Green and soak up the sun, many still resort to the tanning bed to achieve their goal.

POWER/GAMMA, an organization that is a part of Ohio University’s Campus Involvement Center, is made up of trained peer health advocates with the goal of promoting health issues on campus. It hosted a talk Tuesday to acknowledge these risks and discuss what questions one should consider if he or she chooses to go tanning.

The discussion considered both the pros and cons of sun exposure. One positive effect of tanning seemed to be a boost to self-esteem, said Alex Mann, a senior exercise physiology major and a member of POWER/GAMMA, who also led the discussion.

“Some people depend on the natural glow from summertime to help with their self-image,” Mann said.

Freshman Carlianna Cottone enjoys tanning because she likes how it makes her look, although she said she has only purchased two tanning packages in her life.

“I hate being pale,” she said.

Delaney Swift, a freshman who has not declared a major, agreed.

“When you feel tan, you feel pretty.”

This boost to self-esteem is not the only positive effect of exposure to UV light.

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin absorbed through UV light from both natural sunlight and tanning beds.

But, Mann said, there are foods and supplements that also provide the body with the same vitamin.

“People who go tanning for vitamin D, you can make the argument that they could get the same effects through a vitamin D supplement or pill,” he said.

Though the benefits of sunlight and UV exposure exist, they do not outweigh the negative effects, Mann said.

Skin cancer is a real threat, Mann said. It is the most common kind of cancer, with the two most common types being basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, which are both curable with early treatment and protection.

“Sixty-five percent to 90 percent of melanoma cases are caused by exposure to UV light,” Mann said. “With statistics that high, it’s pretty much a direct link to cancer.”

An important thing to do is to know the limits and classifications of your skin before you go tanning, Mann said. Different intensities in tanning beds and varying session lengths could make or break someone who is trying to avoid a burn.

“People who are new to tanning should ask,” Mann said. “They could get into the habit of using a tanning bed that is not suitable to their skin.”

Spray tans are a safer alternative because ingredients in spray tans react with the dead cells in the outermost layer of skin to darken the skin’s appearance, Mann said.

Even employees at tanning salons can be concerned about excessive tanning. Olivia Roberts, head receptionist of the tanning side of Attractions Hair & Tanning Salon, 19 N. Court St., said it is something she worries about.

“I have seen so many people get unlimited packages,” she said. “I try to encourage them to get individual sessions because they can be spread out over a longer period of time.”

Most of the customers Roberts has at Attractions that choose spray tans are older women. The majority of customers, though, choose the tanning beds.

“It would definitely be better if younger girls would spray tan,” she said. “It’s definitely something I think about.”

@taymaple

tm255312@ohiou.edu

This article originally ran in print under the headline "Organization educates about tanning bed benefits, risks."