Film: AIFAV Fest Reviews: I Am a Visitor in Your World and Particle Fever

Athena Cinema is bringing back the fever

An encore screening of Particle Fever is being hosted by the Athena Cinema on Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Having to turn people away after selling out their original screening of Particle Fever during the Athens International Film and Video Festival this year, The Athena Cinema decided that it needed to bring the movie back.

Reuniting with Ohio University professors David Ingram and Justin Frantz, in the physics and astronomy departments, the hit documentary is coming back for another free screening Tuesday.

“At its core, this effort is a massive international labor of love of 10,000 scientists from 100 countries to find a particle scientists have only imagined existed,” said Jean Andrews, special projects assistant in the department of physics and astronomy. “It’s ultimately a human story.”

Director Mark Levinson, a physicist turned filmmaker, follows six scientists as they launch the Large Hadron Collider, which marked the start-up of the biggest and most expansive particle collider in history. Like the first screening, the movie will have Ingram speaking beforehand, followed by a question and answer session with Frantz.

“It’s a film that is put together by a series of anodes, which people can relate to quite well,” Ingram said. “The subject itself is one that many of us find difficult, but the way that the movie approaches how they go through this is very powerful for how science can be done.”

Like before, the movie will be hosted thanks to a Science on Screen grant. This is the threater’s third year with the grant. The first two years had the theater getting $7,000 to host screenings; this year, however, it has earned $8,500.

“I hope those who go will gain an appreciation for the excitement of the search for answers to fundamental questions about our universe,” said Daniel Phillips, the director of the Institute of Nuclear and Particle Physics. “And also some understanding of the complexity of the experiments that are needed to answer those sorts of big questions. As well, of course, as learning a little physics along the way.”

Like last time, this is a first come, first serve screening, and seats are limited for attendees to gather to see the movie and participate in the discussion.

“For me, last time, the best part of the whole event was with the question and answer section after the movie,” Ingram said. “Where audience members asked questions, Frantz answered their questions and I was able to enjoy hearing my colleagues discuss this film.”

wa054010@ohio.edu