Provided via athenacinema.com

Athena Cinema to host David Lynch Series

Athena Cinema launches a month-long David Lynch series. 

First it was Alfred Hitchcock, then it was Stanley Kubrick. Now, writer/director David Lynch is the next film auteur to get his own spotlight series at the Athena Cinema.

Titled “Let’s Do Lynch”, starting Sunday, Athens can get to see some of Lynch’s most well-known movies as they were intended to be seen, on the big screen in all their weird, off-beat glory.

“I just randomly picked him,” said Alexandra Kamody, managing director of the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. “I felt like his films would attract a wide variety, from students to community members. … He is embracing what we are trying to do here at the theater, as he is constantly reinventing himself.”

Kicking off the series will be The Elephant Man on Sunday and Monday, followed by Dune on Sept. 14 and 15, Blue Velvet on Sept. 21 and 22, Wild at Heart on Sept. 28 and 29, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me on Oct. 5 and 6, Lost Highway on Oct. 12 and 13 and then Mulholland Drive on Oct. 19 and 20 and Eraserhead on Oct. 26 and 27. All showings start at 7 p.m.

According to Kamody, the order that the movies were picked were decidedly planned and chosen. Two that didn’t quite make the cut were The Straight Story and Inland Empire — his last narrative film to date.

“I felt that a lot of the films would be fun to see on the big screen again, and it’s been a while since we have played any of these in our theater,” Kamody said.

The selection was not purely creative, but more so born out of theater restrictions — as was the case with Eraserhead, Lynch's first movie, which is screening last in the series. 

“I am looking forward to an important filmmaker's work being exhibited in a theatrical setting to a demographic that likely wouldn't be able to see these films in an actual cinema elsewhere,” said Jack Cranfield, a junior studying English who is planning to see Lynch screenings. “I'm looking forward to cinema bringing people together, especially at the Athena, which is an institution I believe to be grossly underused by students.”

Whether one is familiar with Lynch’s work or not, Cranfield believes that this retrospective should be viewed and enjoyed by all.

“I think David Lynch movies are very boldly cinematic.” Cranfield said. “I love his brand of surrealism and find it very singular, meaning I don't encounter it often while watching other movies. I think he has a real fondness for Americana.”

Above all else, however, this will be a great way for Athens and students to experience Lynch on the big screen and in a visceral way.

“Lynch is appealing to me I guess because of his commitment to absurdity,” said Tim McKenna, a junior studying economics. “He is able to make movies that are distinctly his own, and I just hope theatergoers watch more movies.”