A firefighter exits The Union Bar and Grill after inspecting its interior. The bar was heavily affected by the Uptown fire Sunday morning. 

After many were affected by the Union Street fire, local companies helped out any way they could

After many were affected by the Union Street fire, local companies helped out any way they could.

Uptown business owners have long maintained they are a tight-knit group, be it as members of the Athens Uptown Business Association, the 30 Mile Meal Plan or even the local bar scene.

As a few of their own watched flames engulf their businesses on Sunday morning, other entrepreneurs helped in any way they could.

A multitude of coffee shops on Court Street served free hot coffee to help firefighters and affected business owners combat the cold while the blaze continued.

At about 7:40 a.m., Jessica Kopelwitz, co-owner of Fluff Bakery, hurried down Court Street toward the flames, with four coffee cups in tow. It was an easy decision, Kopelwitz said.

Kopelwitz explained that she’s “pretty close friends” with some of the affected business owners. 

At about noon, Court Street Coffee also was offering hot drinks to any first responders who stopped by while fighting the fire raging a block away.

“I don’t charge them on a day like this,” owner Debbie Fulks said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="690561c2-6dc9-11e4-a1ab-6fc6d656b67c"}}

Brenen’s Coffee Cafe joined in by putting out a pot of free coffee for anyone who wanted it. 

In the block north of Union Street — where many businesses were forced to close because of a lack of electricity — workers at Jimmy John’s tried to make sure no one went hungry.

They made 80 half sandwiches for the emergency response team. 

General Manager Adam Miller said he left work at 4:30 a.m., saw firefighters starting to work and came back later Sunday to a handful of local departments still fighting the fire. 

“I couldn’t imagine how hungry they had to be,” he said. 

Miller said he wanted to give them a breather, so he had his team whip up the sandwiches free of charge for those responders. 

Not all businesses were fortunate enough to stay open.

A few businesses stayed closed because of the fire and subsequent power outage, including Donkey Coffee & Espresso, Follett’s University Bookstore, Chipotle and Bagel Street Deli. 

Some businesses that could stay open reported a rush of customers, while others reported the fire resulted in a lower turnout for a typical Sunday.

Buffalo Wild Wings manager Robert Horner estimated sales were down about 40 percent.

“We’re open,” he said. “It is what it is, it’s a tough thing.”

Wendy’s experienced a lull in business, as well. 

“There’s a dip in business because we’re only getting foot traffic and no cars,”  manager Sherry Papineau said. 

Wendy’s opened its doors early in the morning for first responders, though the fast food restaurant typically opens at 10 a.m.

Emily Bohatch contributed to this article.

@fair3julia

jf311013@ohio.edu