Conductor Peter Jarjisian conducts the Ohio University Singers during rehearsal for an upcoming show in Glidden Hall. 

Tour to expose high school students to college singing with University Singers

University Singers go on tour through Cincinnati and Charleston, West Virginia to expose students to collegiate-level singing.

As the choral department has become more recognizable in recent years, Ohio University Singers is setting out on its first tour in a long time.

University Singers, a selective mixed ensemble comprised of 35 to 45 members, will be touring Cincinnati and Charleston, West Virginia. The group will be mainly visiting schools and performing at churches. The trip will begin on Thursday and finish on Saturday.

“It’s the first time University Singers has ever done an official tour (as a student organization),” said Victoria Mark, a senior studying music therapy and president of University Singers. “This is a year of firsts for us.”

The group is performing for high schools, as well as doing workshops and singing some of the high school’s repertoire, Mark said. It is also an opportunity for University Singers to expose high school students to the collegiate choral level.

The group applied for organization status in 2013, and has since become more recognized as an academic group for music majors while also attracting non-music majors, said Daniel J. Hall, director of choral activities. This allows for the group to have an official executive board and a more “family-like atmosphere.”

“I think the growth of the entire choral program really has to do with (Hall) immersing the kids in the experience because that’s how you get people here,” Mark said.

Hall, who has been a part of the program since Fall Semester of 2012, has focused on recruiting students from high schools all over the state, and recently he brought some to spend the weekend singing with him as the director, Mark said.

“I’m trying to get a spirit of unity in the program,” Hall said. “One of my rules has been to redefine the identity or find the identity of Ohio University Singers. Now that we have two choral faculty, we’re able to focus a lot more attention on each of these groups.”

Paul Mayhew, assistant professor of music education, has been a large part of the changes made within the choral program, Hall said.

The group feels entirely new this year, said Grant Johnson, a junior studying music business and a member of University Singers. Having families allow the younger members to get acquainted with the group and also helps to form a stronger bond.

“I think a lot of the success (in the choral department) has been that when I’m in choir, it doesn’t feel like I’m in class,” Johnson said. “Dr. Hall is really all about environment”.

In March, for the first time, University Singers are having a solo concert featuring tour repertoire, Mark said.

In the last few years, the growth of the department is not limited to University Singers, Hall said. Women’s Ensemble has doubled in numbers within the past few years. Singing Men of Ohio have gained roughly 20 members and has travelled nationally.

@lizb143

eb823313@ohio.edu