The student senate executive board during the senate meeting in Walter Hall, at Ohio University, in Athens, Ohio, on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014. 

Senate members say students' full social security numbers were not stolen

Nine Ohio University students are involved in the Wednesday theft of documents from the Student Senate office, which contained students’ partial social security numbers.

Home addresses and the last four digits of nine Ohio University students’ social security numbers were allegedly stolen from the Student Senate office Wednesday, according to Caitlyn McDaniel, senate vice president.

“This was a political theft meant to screw over student government, not for identity fraud. No students are at risk,” McDaniel said.

The stolen contact information, which was not Student Senate property, has not yet been returned.

"I would want everyone to understand that Student Senate does not have access to the (social security numbers) of Ohio University students," Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said in an email.

McDaniel would not disclose what type of documents were involved or who the person senate believes stole the documents is.

“The contact information was willingly given to two individuals who are Student Senate members but were not acting on behalf of senate,” McDaniel said.

Student Senate is currently filing a report with the Ohio University Police Department and the Office of Community Standards and Student Responsibility.

As of 4:40 p.m., OUPD had not processed any reports from senate.

“The person who did it, who we at least believe did it, decided that they were too scared to show up tonight,” Vice Commissioner of Governmental Affairs Will Klatt said at Wednesday’s general body meeting. “The person who was alleged to have done this was (also) alleged to have stolen things in the past. It’s a big concern.”

When the incident was announced at Wednesday's meeting, Klatt did not specify if full or partial social security numbers were stolen.

McDaniel said that it is still unclear whether the culprit is a member of senate.

“Accusations are flying,” she said. “We have no idea who did it at this point.”

McDaniel said that if the culprit is a member of senate and chooses to come forward before the police investigation begins, senate would not punish him or her.

The contact information allegedly went missing after being left in an unlocked drawer in the Student Senate office for a short period of time.

The students whose information was stolen are not members of senate.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu