Sam Owens | Staff Photographer Chris VonBargen works in solitude as he mounts a deer head for a customer at his Nelsonville taxidermy shop, Wild Reflections. VonBargen opened for business last year, thereby becoming a part of Ohio’s almost $800 million hunting industry.

After six years of overpopulation, deer hunting regulations may tighten

The Ohio Division of Wildlife has proposed several changes to hunting regulations in the state, including a reduction in the number of deer an individual can shoot down a year. But deer populations still may be a nuisance within city bounds.

After several years of statewide deer overpopulation, an official with the Ohio Department of Natural Resource’s Division of Wildlife said deer populations are at a stable level.

The department is now proposing six regulations in attempt to keep it that way.

But some still think the city of Athens is overrun with deer, where hunting is illegal.

“For several years, we were in kind of a herd-reduction mode,” John Windau, a spokesman for the Division of Wildlife, said. “We’re kind of transitioning into more of a stabilization mode.

Windau said state regulations regarding deer hunting were relaxed around 2009, when the deer population was unusually robust.

Earlier this month, the Ohio Division of Wildlife released a series of proposed changes to tighten the previous regulations.

The regulations still have to undergo a statewide hearing before Wildlife Council members can vote on them April 8.

In most counties, regulations would reduce the number of deer a person can shoot a year.

Although there is no hunting within Athens city limits, residents can hunt deer in the county, permitted only in designated state parks such as Strouds Run and Hocking Hills. Regulations would reduce the number of deer a person can shoot a year in Athens County from three to two.

The regulations would also remove antlerless permits in all but 10 counties.

Windau said the department primarily determined these regulations by releasing public attitude surveys, which were distributed to hunters and landowners throughout Ohio.

He said it’s easier to gauge deer population levels by using surveys, as it’s nearly impossible to have an accurate count of the state’s deer.

Because deer have no natural predator, hunting is a vital way to ensure their populations stay in check, Windau said.

Athens City Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, said deer have been a nuisance within city limits for several years now.

“We do have an overpopulation issue in the city,” she said.

Though hunting within the city limits is out of the question, Papai said it’s important for the city and state to continue to look for ways to increase management of wildlife.

Allen Patton, wildlife officer for Athens County, said the changes are unlikely to have a serious impact on hunters.

“Typically most hunters average only one deer a year,” he said.

He said overhunting is unlikely, as hunters have to register every deer they shoot with his office.

“Our job is to make sure people are following the regulations and rules,” he said.

Windau said there is still a chance the proposed regulations could change.

“Whatever you do, someone is not going to be completely happy,” he said.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu