John Mollica, a junior at Ohio University, gets into his sled before his and Sam Mumper’s ice time at Bird Arena on Oct. 28. Mollica formerly played for Team USA.

Ohio University student sled hockey players skate in the world spotlight

When walking into Bird Ice Arena, most people might expect to find hockey players gliding with skates on their feet, wielding large hockey sticks.

On Wednesday afternoon, however, two men in metal sleds were in the arena, propelling themselves across the ice with two small sticks while wearing helmets with a Team USA decal on them. One of them, Sam Mumper, has even scored a goal against Germany in an international competition.

Ohio University students Mumper and John Mollica practiced sled hockey at Bird Arena this past week for first time this year. Both Mumper and Mollica, as well as fellow Bobcat Cierra Giehl, have played the sport competitively.

Mumper said sled hockey is similar to stand-up hockey, except that players sit on a sled and propel themselves with two smaller hockey sticks.

The players have also represented the United States with their athletic abilities. Mumper and Giehl have played sled hockey for the U.S. Men’s National Team and U.S. Women’s National Team, respectively. Mollica has also played on the men’s national developmental team.

The three of them have also been involved in Ohio United, a club sled hockey team based out of Columbus.

Mumper, a junior studying accounting, got involved with the sport after being diagnosed with Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease at age 9, which didn’t heal correctly. The disease is a blood disorder that affects the hip.

“I met someone at physical therapy who played, and he kinda dragged me to a practice and it kinda took on a life of its own from there,” Mumper, a defenseman, said.

Mollica, a junior studying industrial and systems engineering, had a tumor on his spinal cord at age one, which lead to him being paralyzed from the waist down. He started his hockey career at age 6.

“I went to a clinic where it was just kinda a 'try this sport out' sort of thing," Mollica, a defenseman and center, said. "Ever since then, I became hooked."

Giehl, a senior studying administration, coaching and recreation management, was left with nerve damage after being born with cancer wrapped around her spine and has been playing sled hockey for 10 years.

“As soon as I got on the ice, I knew this is what I wanted,” Giehl, a forward wing, said.

Derek Rahme, a left winger and assistant captain of OU's Division I hockey team, said he finds the sled hockey players very impressive.

“It looks extremely difficult,” Rahme, a senior studying finance, said. “I don’t think I would be able to do it. It’s definitely a completely different skill and I’ve seen it played at very high levels.”

Rahme added that he admires that the players represent the U.S.

“In anything that somebody can do, if you are able to be the top echelon, it doesn’t matter what you do, riding a bike or playing sled hockey,” he said. “I think anything that you can do that you are recognized as one of the best in the country, I think that’s really impressive.”

Mumper attributes his success to hard work.

“You gotta do the work and everything will come to you eventually,” he said.

Besides being able to travel and play against teams from around the world, sled hockey has affected each athlete's personal life as well.

Mollica said his experience with the sport has been very rewarding.

“It sorta gives me the opportunity to be like an actual athlete and compete in a high level sport,” he said. “I have a huge hockey family, you know, like (Mumper), we’ve all been good friends for a while and I’ve made a lot of connections that way. So that’s a really rewarding part about the sport too is the camaraderie between all the people.”

Giehl said every team she has been on has felt like a family.

“It’s changed my life so much,” she said. “I love the people I’ve gotten to meet. I love the travel. I love the game itself. It’s fantastic.”

Mumper echoed Giehl's sentiments about life as a sled hockey player.

“I was a big sports player up until I got injured and was kinda devastated after that happened," he said. “It’s the best thing that's happened to me, honestly."

mp172114@ohio.edu

@M_PECKable