Graduate Student Senate President Carl Edward Smith III poses for a portrait in Village Bakery on Jan. 20. Smith is currently running for a seat in the Ohio House of Representatives. 

Ohio House minority leader: I told Eddie Smith to give dropping out 'some consideration'

Eddie Smith says the top Democrat in the Ohio House suggested he quit the primary and believes an arrest from almost three years ago was a factor in that decision. 

The Ohio House minority leader said Tuesday he urged a local statehouse candidate to strongly consider dropping out of the Democratic primary.

Rep. Fred Strahorn, D-Dayton, said he told Eddie Smith, a Democratic candidate for the Ohio Statehouse, to consider dropping out of the Democratic primary. The Ohio House Democratic Caucus, which Strahorn leads, has endorsed Smith’s opponent, Sarah Grace, in the primary.

Smith told The Post on Monday that Strahorn encouraged him to drop out of the primary. In response to that, Aaron Fisher, spokesman for the Democratic caucus, said that did not happen. “We are not in the business of telling people whether they can or cannot run,” Fisher said.

When reached by phone and asked whether he told Smith to “strongly consider” dropping out, he said: “Yes, I said he should give (dropping out) some consideration, and he said he would talk about it with his folks and call me back, but he never did.

The House minority leader also said the conversation with Smith happened on Aaron Fisher’s phone Feb. 22. Strahorn and Fisher said their call to Smith came in response to a request the candidate made. He sought campaign advice on a time he was arrested about three years ago — first reported by The Post Tuesday morning.

Party politics

Grace, Smith’s opponent, has also been endorsed by Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-Albany, the term-limited lawmaker of the 94th district seat. The caucus is separate from the Ohio Democratic Party, which has not made an endorsement.

The caucus endorsement for Grace came after Smith told the Ohio House Democrats about his arrest, which the caucus saw as a liability, Smith said.

On Tuesday, Smith provided emails to The Post between himself and Fisher. Fisher confirmed their validity. Those emails detail exchanges between Smith and Fisher after Strahorn called Smith.

In an email to Fisher dated Tuesday, Feb. 23, the day after Smith and Strahorn talked, Smith referenced their phone call. “I know when Fred Strahorn called me and asked if I would consider dropping out, I told him that I would want my campaign team, contributors, and everyone who has put so much into this to be a part of making that decision.”

Then, after talking to his team, Smith said he planned on staying in the race.

“I have seen (House Republicans) crush candidates with negative communications over much less than an arrest,” Fisher wrote in response to Smith on Feb. 23. “While I agree that everyone makes mistakes and something like this should not affect an election, you must remember that your race is not unique, and the Republicans will be playing politics as usual, meaning you should be prepared to be the focus of a multi-million dollar smear campaign.”

In response to Smith’s complaint about the caucus endorsement of Grace, Fisher suggested Smith’s arrest was a liability.

“I also understand that the (caucus endorsement) may have frustrated some folks in district, when taken out of context,” Fisher said in the email. “I look forward to discussions with anyone who does call my office for clarification. I am also happy to provide them with endless examples negative materials that (House Republicans have) sent in the past attacking DUI's, unpaid taxes, arrests, etc.”

He added: “I would, however, recommend that you limit the number of people who you discuss your arrest with.”

Arrest history

“I want to be an honest politician,” Smith said. “I like being open about this.”

During the Athens Halloween Block Party in 2013, Smith said he wandered into a house while intoxicated from alcohol. Smith was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, he said.

Disorderly conduct is a minor misdemeanor under the Ohio Revised Code.

Smith said after a year of being a “law-abiding citizen,” he successfully applied to have the record expunged. No record of Smith’s arrest exists in the online records of the Athens County Common Pleas Court or Athens City Municipal Court.

In Athens County, anyone can apply to have a record sealed one year after the completion of a case that resulted in a conviction. The application process includes a form, a $50 deposit and completion of a criminal background check.

Local response

John Haseley, chair of the Athens County Democratic Party, who has remained neutral in the race, said Smith’s statement about his arrest does not affect the county party’s involvement.

“The local party will not endorse,” Haseley said. “Everybody will make their own decision on the race.”

Chris Chmiel, an Athens County commissioner who supports Smith, said the candidate’s admission of an arrest is no reason to stop supporting him.

“I think it shows how honest he is,” Chmiel said. "I think when this happened, it was a big change in his life. You can’t change the past."

Chmiel added that many students at OU “get in trouble like that, occasionally” and that he will continue to endorse Smith.

@WillDrabold

dd195710@ohio.edu

@kaitfoch

kf992915@ohio.edu