Brood V Cicadas took over Athens this summer.

Someone is making a movie about the cicada emergence in Athens

They were loud. They came in the thousands. They came to Athens — and someone put a camera on them.

Last week a Reddit user posted a video featuring footage of cicadas in all their glory crawling around OU's campus. Shots of masses of the large, noisy insects on College Green populate the video as well as shots of what looks to be the interior of The Ridges. See for yourself: 

The description of the above video says it's a teaser for a final project that will be uploaded to YouTube at some undisclosed time. It also states the clips in the teaser are GoPro shots that were cut because the "higher-end material" turned out so well.

The Post reached out to an email address and Twitter account associated with the video, but neither responded to requests for an interview. There is, however, a Tumblr page for the movie.

If you're wondering how the whole 17-year cicada phenomenon works, the U.S. Department of Agriculture sums it up pretty simply on a webpage:

"The eggs hatch in 6 weeks, and young cicadas, or nymphs, fall to the ground where they burrow into the soil and spend the next 17 years feeding on small roots. At the end of this time, usually in May and early June, nymphs crawl out of the soil and climb up tree trunks or other vertical objects where they shed their nymphal skins and emerge as adults."

And that's that. But don't be fooled: there are cicadas that come out every summer, but those are different cicadas. There are many different kinds of cicadas in Ohio, many of which look and sound different than others.

Athens was smack dab in the middle of this summer's emergence of the Brood V (17-year) cicada, as you can see on the map below:

via U.S. Department of Agriculture

jh082913@ohio.edu

@JeremyHTweets