Brooke Manring, a sophomore studying sociology, poses for a portrait in Morton Hall on October 10, 2016. Manring said she started post-secondary education when she was a junior in high school and said it helped her determine what she wanted her major to be. (EMILY MATTHEWS | PHOTO EDITOR)

College Credit Plus can be an adjustment for high school students

As a junior attending Wellston High School, Brooke Manring wanted challenging coursework, so she enrolled in College Credit Plus at Ohio University. 

But once she started taking college-level courses, it was the first time in her life that she was in danger of flunking out.

“It was a rollercoaster because I went from a 4.0 to academic probation,” Manring, now a sophomore studying sociology at OU, recalled. “The problem with high school is that they give you grades just to pass you along and get funding. In college they give you the grade you deserve.”

College Credit Plus, which was rolled out in 2014, allows students in grades seven to 12 to earn college credit for free, or for a relatively low cost, by taking courses from local colleges and universities. 

Though many secondary students are high achievers in their respective schools, attending college can be a more intense atmosphere. 

"Any transition is challenging and brings about a new set of demands and challenges," Julie Owens, a professor of psychology, said. "They leave the support system of high school and move to being responsible for every part of their academics."  

Currently, Ohio University has 933 students enrolled in College Credit Plus, including Athens and regional campuses.

“(Students) understand the cost of college is expensive,” Robert Callahan, Director of Dual Enrollment Programs, said. “(College Credit Plus) is a way for students to get ahead, to save money, to graduate early or to take on other opportunities, like study abroad.”

Aurora Santiago-Flores, an Athens High School senior, is one of the 133 students currently dually-enrolled at Ohio University’s Athens campus.

“My mom wasn’t happy with the high school system,” Santiago-Flores said. “At OU, finding the balance between social life and academics is nice and it challenges me.”

Students wishing to become involved with College Credit Plus must meet the admission requirements of other prospective students.

Spending more time in college lecture halls often has unforeseen results.

For Manring, the opportunity to participate in college courses served as an escape from personal troubles she faced in high school. 

“When I came to OU I became involved and found people that I connected with,” she explained. “However, once I started filling out college applications, I realized I missed out because of the clubs and sports I had to quit to focus on schoolwork.”

Santiago-Flores said she sometimes finds it hard to fit in with her older classmates.

“Keeping up with friends from high school is hard because there’s a distance,” Santiago-Flores explained. “And sometimes OU students treat me differently because I’m a ‘kid.' ”

For students participating in College Credit Plus, fitting in might not be the only difference. While high school discussions often steer away from scandalous topics, in the college classroom sensitive subjects are usually not ignored just because a high school-aged student is present.

“They talk about sex and politics," Santiago-Flores said. "They treat you like an adult.”

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu