Women's golf player Hailey Hrynewich of Muskegon, Michigan, poses for a portrait. (File)

Women’s Golf: Ohio earns top 5 spot in Kalamazoo Classic

Ohio has had a hard time making it past eighth place this season, but the team was able to score in the top five this week at the Kalamazoo Classic.

Ohio had a team score of 931 (+67) leaving the team tied with Cleveland State.

Senior Hailey Hrynewich led the team and landed in first place. She kept her scores in the low 70s and shot a 71 (-1) in both the first and second round on Monday, leaving her with a score of 142 (-2). 

Hrynewhich totaled 215 (-1) for the tournament, good for first place.

Rounding out the top three spots for the tournament were Thelma Beck and Kelsey Murphy of Eastern Michigan, tied in second place with a score of 222 (+6). In third was Kelsey Murphy of Ball State, who finished with a score of 225 (+9).

The first place spot on the team has consistently been taken by Hrynewich this season, but the second place spot for the Bobcats has varied throughout the season.

This week, junior Lily Pendy grabbed the spot for the Bobcats.

She was quite a few places behind Hrynewich, however, and came in tied for 13th place. Pendy finished with a total score of 152 (+7) at the end of the first day. She shot a 79 (+7) on Tuesday for an overall score of 231 (+15).

Ohio’s next placer, sophomore Nicole Smiley, was 12 places behind Pendy at 25th place. Smiley shot a total of 240 (+24) for the three rounds. That's seven strokes better than her score of 247 (+31) at the Bobcats’ last tournament, which left her in fifth on the team’s rankings.

To complete the team’s competing roster for its fourth and fifth places was freshman Marissa Balish and senior Emily Cunningham. Balish scored a 245 (+29) and had a three-way tie for 33rd.

Cunningham scored a 251 (+35), which put her in 44th place.

Eastern Michigan won this season’s KZoo Classic, with a team score of 896 (+32).

The Bobcats have a break before they will be teeing off again for the Flyer Invitational starting Oct. 17.

@thebestjess_21

jj940914@ohio.edu