Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate to vote to officially adopt General Fee report

More than 40 percent of graduate students at Ohio University who replied to a survey from Graduate Student Senate reported having incomes at or below the federal poverty line.

At its upcoming meeting on Tuesday night in Walter 235, the body will vote to adopt a report about how graduate students use and value programs paid for by the General Fee.

After sending out an email to all OU graduate students in March that asked them to participate in the survey, GSS members were able to compile and present the data clearly, GSS President Ian Armstrong said.

“One of the things we were lacking last year in regards to the General Fee was data,” Armstrong said. “This is going to be much more well-received by the senior administration than just having a problem with the General Fee.”

The report shows both the financial struggles of graduate students at OU, and how the General Fee affects their lives on campus. Nearly 15 percent of the total graduate student population responded to the survey to share their experiences with the General Fee.

“The ultimate product here can help bring people together and help spread awareness about the issues we are facing,” Angie Chapman, vice president for legislative affairs, said.

The current rate of the fee, according to the report, is $628 per semester per student. One response said that was one-ninth of their yearly income. Additionally, students do not use or value all the programs funded by the fee, the report showed.

Respondents most highly valued Campus Recreation (70 percent), Counseling and Psychological Services (68 percent) and Student Health Services (68 percent), according to the report. Respondents indicated that they do not value Intercollegiate Athletics (63 percent), the Campus Involvement Center (55 percent) or the Marching 110 (51 percent).

In addition to voting on the report, the body will vote to appoint Spencer Smith, the current academic affairs officer, to be vice president for communication. This position opened up at the previous meeting when Chapman accepted the position of vice president for legislative affairs. GSS will also vote to amend its Rules and Procedures to include two commissioner positions, one for Environmental Affairs and one for Governmental Affairs.

The executive board also hopes to start a conversation about the incidences surrounding the graffiti wall and the “current climate” on campus.

“There’s been a lot happening on campus and we hope to have a discussion about that,” Armstrong said. “We think there is somewhat of a culture problem here that needs to be addressed in some shape or form.”

At its previous meeting, GSS voted for the agenda to be sent out to the body at 5 p.m. the day before a general body meeting. Therefore, the senate may have more to bring to the table.

“In general we are very happy about where Graduate Student Senate has been so far,” Alex Burke, vice president for finance, said. “If you look comparatively at the amount of resolutions we’ve passed compared to last year, we’re already basically at the total number of resolutions passed last year just in the first two meetings.”

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu

Clarification: This article has been modified to clarify which programs funded by the General Fee that students use.