Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate: Body to take stance on concealed carry issue

Graduate Student Senate will vote on an official stance on Senate Bill 199, a bill that would allow concealed carry on college campuses given permission from the Board of Trustees, at its first meeting of the semester Tuesday.

GSS members took the responses strictly of graduate students that were shared during the open forum, which took place earlier this semester, and a Facebook post from December to form the official stance that will be voted on Tuesday.

“Although not every graduate student is opposed to CCW on campus, the overall opinion is that it should not be allowed,” the statement says. “In light of these concerns, the Graduate Student Senate calls for the Board of Trustees to take no action regarding Senate Bill 199 and to leave the current campus weapons policy as it is.”

GSS President Ian Armstrong said the stance recognizes that some students support concealed carry weapons on campus, but the majority of graduate students say they are against it.

“It is important that graduate students have a voice in decision-making at OU, and through legislation such as this resolution, GSS is a platform to share those voices with the university's administration,” GSS Vice President of Legislative Affairs Angie Chapman said in an email.

Regardless of what happens with the Student Senate referendum, the stance GSS will take on the issue will be what the body votes on at its meeting, Armstrong said.

The official stance addresses concerns from many different groups of graduate students including those who serve as teaching assistants and graduate assistants. It also voices the concerns of minority students such as international students, LGBTQA students and students of color.

“It is important for graduate students to read this resolution and see how others are feeling on this campus,” Vice President for Finance Alex Burke said in an email. “If someone reads our statement and thinks their opinion on the matter is not represented in any manner than it would be best to reach out to the board directly and give feedback.”

In addition to voting on the statement, GSS will vote on three other resolutions, one of which includes appointing new members. The general body will vote to appoint a senator for Center for International Studies, three department representatives and two commissioners.

GSS will also vote to approve the election application for candidacy after hearing a presentation from current GSS Board of Elections Chair Jivanto Van Hemert, and the general body will vote to help fund the 12th OU History Graduate Association Conference.

@maddiecapron

mc0559914@ohio.edu