Donations and food are available for residents displaced by Carriage Hill Apartments fire

Ohio University and other organizations are taking donations and helping people find temporary housing after Building 12 at the Carriage Hill Apartments burned down Sunday afternoon.

The fire caused $1.2 million in damage to Building 12 and $1 million in damage to the building’s contents, according to an Athens Fire Department report. The fire displaced all of the building’s residents,Tim Callahan, disaster program manager for the American Red Cross of Southeastern Ohio, said.

Ohio University Spokesman Dan Pittman said the university is aware of nine students, one faculty member and one staff member whom the fire displaced. The university is providing some of those impacted with temporary housing and meal plans as well as $100 Walmart gift cards. Pittman said students, faculty and staff displaced by the fire can contact the Dean of Students' Office at 740-593-1800 if they have not connected with the university.

The Red Cross is helping the residents find temporary housing, and OU has set up a donation station on the fifth floor of Baker Center that will accept donations until the end of Monday, according to a news release from the Campus Involvement Center. People have already dropped off food, clothing, toiletries and baby items.

“The community has been a huge support with their donations,” Callahan said. “It’s a huge help.”

People can drop off donations after Monday at Diles Hearing Center at 275 W. Union St. and Class A Sounds at 447 E. State St.

Residents displaced by the fire can pick up donations at the Athens Community Center at 701 E. State St.

The Wolf Tree Collective at 74 E. State St. is also accepting donations and is offering meals from 10:30 a.m. to noon on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., offers free community meals at 5:30 p.m. Thursday and 1 p.m. Sunday.

The fire started at about 4 p.m. Fire crews put it out by 8 p.m. Sunday, and the Athens Fire Department remained for a good part of the night to put out flare-ups. Although building 13 was also evacuated, the Fire Department prevented the flames from spreading to it.

The roof and third floor are a complete loss, according to the report. The second floor sustained fire and water damage and the first floor sustained water damage.

The cause of the fire is undetermined. The Ohio Fire Marshal is investigating the fire, but the investigation could take weeks to conclude.

People who would like to volunteer can email cheskaboden21@gmail.com or come to the community center.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu