Sarah Grace

East Elementary PTO's record books still off by $40,000

After a budget discrepancy in the fall left thousands of dollars unaccounted for in the East Elementary PTO's record books, the organization's records are still off by $40,000.

The initial discrepancy came to light after Sarah Grace, then-candidate for 94th District Ohio House seat and current city council candidate, left her position as treasurer for the PTO. 

The current treasurer, Sirlei Martin noted there was a $5,800 discrepancy in the organization's books when she took the position. That issue was resolved a few weeks later, but in the PTO's meeting minutes from December 2016, Martin noted taxes for 2015 had not been filed and taxes for 2014 reported $40,000 less than what the organization actually earned.

"I have not been involved," Grace said, adding that she had not interacted with the current PTO since the budget discrepancy was resolved in October.

Thomas Gibbs, superintendent of Athens City Schools, who handled last fall's PTO budget issue, also said he had not been alerted about the tax filings.

"They've been in close contact with me, and they have not brought this to my attention," Gibbs said. 

After speaking with the PTO, Gibbs said there was no money missing.

"Just someone who really didn't understand how to file the two separate forms with the State and IRS," he said. 

The PTO did not respond to a request for comment.

Grace is one of four Democrats who filed in the race for an at-large seat on city council. Also seeking to become the Democratic nominee are incumbent Democrat Peter Kotses, Ohio University graduate student Karie Whitman, and Arian Smedley, director of Integrating Professionals for Appalachian Children, a local non-profit.

"She is somebody who has really worked hard on behalf of the community," John Haseley, chair of the Athens County Democratic Party, said. "She's a great candidate for council because she really cares about the Athens community."

For Grace, the campaign represents an opportunity to move past her loss last November to Republican Jay Edwards.

"I feel I learned a lot in the past year about the issues facing southeast Ohio," she said. "And while they don't all directly relate (to the city of Athens), it has put me in a good position to help the people of Athens."

Should Grace win the nomination, she should have an easier go in the general election than she did against Edwards. Currently, there are no Republicans on city council.

"It is a different demographic," Grace said of Athens residents. "I'll just be campaigning in the city, and Athens is very Democratic compared to the 94th District."

@torrantial

lt688112@ohio.edu