Schoonover Center 

E.W. Scripps Schools of Journalism and others express concerns over 'Freedom of Expression' policy

The E.W. Scripps School of Journalism on Wednesday unanimously passed a resolution against the interim “Freedom of Expression” policy. 

The policy bans demonstrations, sit-ins, speeches and more inside university buildings. The policies took effect on an interim basis on Aug. 17, but the university did not release information until early September.

The journalism school faculty “unanimously and strongly urges that the policy be rescinded,” according to the resolution. The resolution states the policy raises significant First Amendment issues. 

“The faculty advises that any future discussion at the administrative level about a replacement policy include significant input from faculty and students, as well as the opportunity to review and comment on draft proposals,” a news release read. 

The journalism school isn’t the only group that has spoken out about the policy. The Ohio​ ​University​ ​Chapter​ ​of​ ​the​ ​American​ ​Association​ ​of​ ​University​ ​Professors​ said the policy imposes​ “​undue​ ​restrictions​” on students and faculty to express themselves. 

“​As​ ​a​ ​university​ ​we​ ​need to​ ​ensure​ ​the​ ​maximum​ ​capacity​ ​for​ ​free​ ​expression,​ ​including​ ​public​ ​assembly​ ​and​ ​protest, while​ ​guaranteeing​ ​such​ ​actions​ ​do​ ​not​ ​impinge​ ​on​ ​the​ ​rights​ ​of​ ​others​ ​to​ ​speak​ ​or​ ​protest​ ​in public​ ​and​ ​to​ ​be​ ​secured​ ​against​ ​physical​ ​harm,”the statement from AAUP reads.

Other groups at the university including Student, Graduate Student and Faculty senates have expressed similar concerns. 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu