Duane Nellis during an interview on July 19, 2017. Meagan Hall | Photo Editor

Here's what OU President Duane Nellis did last week in D.C.

When President Donald Trump announced that his administration would end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, that protects young, undocumented immigrants, OU President Duane Nellis went to Washington, D.C.

Nellis said in a news release Tuesday that the end of DACA “threatens to undermine Ohio University’s commitment to fair treatment and inclusivity for all of our students,” according to a previous Post report.

"Tomorrow I will go to Capitol Hill to advocate for all our students and urge our Congressional representatives, face-to-face to take action to protect the DREAMers immediately,” he said in a release on Tuesday. “We will continue to monitor these national discussions and will keep the University community informed of important developments as they unfold.”

It was in Washington, D.C., that Nellis co-signed a letter to Congressional delegation in support of the DACA program. The letter asked Congress to approve legislation incorporating a permanent solution to this issue, and was signed by the Inter-University Council (IUC) of Ohio, according to a news release.

“In addition to working with the IUC, Ohio University has been engaging with students, faculty and staff to discuss concerns, share resources and provide support in ... the wake of the DACA announcement,” the release stated. 

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu