Kash.0: Trump unites unlikely athletic foes

Who remembers the iconic image from the 2016 NBA finals? I remember sitting in Buffalo Wild Wings with my eyes wide open in shock and my jaw literally dropping to that moment. The King has spoken I thought in awe. To this day, I will always wonder what Cleveland Cavaliers superstar LeBron James said to Golden State Warrior’s two-time MVP Stephen Curry during the intense moments of Game 6. (On a more relatable note, within this picture Moe’s queso is LeBron James and Chipotle queso is Steph Curry...in other words, stay in your lane, Chipotle).

The Cavaliers ended up winning the 2016 Finals, being the first team in NBA history to ever come back from a 3-1 deficit. The very next year during the 2017 NBA Finals, the Warriors nearly swept the Cavaliers, beating them 4 games to 1. The rivalry between these two NBA powerhouses has become one of the more exciting ones to watch, especially within these last three years. Now, Steph Curry and LeBron James relationship can be compared to as a current rendition of a Harry Potter prophecy, but in this case neither can win, while the loses. 

Basically, these two players are some of the most watched players in the NBA, in which winning defines their relationship.

Now fast-forward three months later after the 2017 NBA finals in which the Cavaliers lost in a rather blowout fashion. One may think the two mega-star players hold no regard for each other on a personal level and ultimately care who has more wins during these anticipated matchups. 

Wrong. 

Traditionally, the championship team of any major professional sports league is invited to the White House to meet with the president. However, it was clear that days after the Warriors won the 2017 NBA Championship, they were not thrilled to make a visit. In the past, Warriors head coach Steve Kerr has referred to President Trump as a “blowhard.” 

Stephen Curry has also been vocal about his displeasure with President Trump and his policies. On Friday during the Warriors Media Day, Curry stated that the team will not visit The White House in hopes of sending a statement that they [the Warriors] don’t stand for his policies. 24 hours later, President Trump tweeted “Going to the White House is considered a great honor for a championship team.Stephen Curry is hesitating,therefore invitation is withdrawn.” Just moments later, the NBA world exploded in outrage over Twitter. 

Believe it or not, LeBron James was one of the very first players to offer his response criticizing President Trump’s tweet, calling him a “bum.” He wasn’t the only player; retired NBA Lakers legend Kobe Bryant tweeted,“A #POTUS whose name alone creates division and anger. Whose words inspire dissension and hatred can't possibly ‘Make America Great Again.’” 

NBA players Draymond Green, Chris Paul, and JR Smith all responded with swift displeasure towards the remark made towards Steph Curry. Basically, President Trump intended to go for a slam dunk to seal the game and instead got blocked harder than Andre Iguodala did during Game 7 of the NBA Finals by the very same dominant force known as Lebron James. 

Sports is all about unity. It is a platform in which players regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and personal beliefs can come together and be a part of a team and achieve victory. Ultimately, every team within the NBA and NFL won this weekend (including my 0-3 Bengals). The reason I say this is because the notion of “shut up and stick to sports” has been dissolved. More and more professional athletes are finally speaking out for what they believe in and recognize the injustices that are present within this amazing nation. That’s what Makes America Great Again. 

Chanting “lock her up” at rallies anytime Hillary Clinton’s name is mentioned, burning flags and screaming at minorities to “get the hell out of this country,” are ideals that are symbolic towards a regression of the US’s progress. So thank you LeBron James, Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, the Bennett Brothers, and the dozens of other NBA/NFL superstars for acknowledging the social issues that need to be fixed within society today and sparking a movement that will be remembered not just in the history of American sports, but our collective history as a whole.

Also, thank you President Trump for uniting Warriors and Cavaliers fans over Twitter – I never thought I’d see this day.

Akash Bakshi is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about the recent unity in sports over political issues? Let Akash know by tweeting him @akashmbakshi.