Ohio University's East Green. (FILE)

Here's how the university uses the money you pay to have your friend stay for Halloween

More than 1,200 guests have registered to stay in residence halls for Halloween weekend this year. 

That number has decreased from the 1,466 guests who registered in 2016 and the 1,853 guests who registered in 2015, Ohio University Spokesman Dan Pittman said. 

Students who host a guest at a residence hall are charged a $50 fee per guest to their student accounts. 

“It is important to note that the guest fee is only charged to a student’s account after their pre-registered guest has arrived to campus,” Pittman said in an email.

He said all money generated from student guest registration is used to cover the costs of Alcohol Edu and Haven, OU’s online alcohol education and sexual violence harm-reduction courses that all new students are required to complete. 

“The total cost of the weekend to the University is approximately $115,000,” Pittman said in an email. “Expenses related to Halloween include: Costs associated with Green Jackets, costs associated with door watchers and overtime costs for OUPD, Parking and Transportation, Facilities Management, grounds and custodial services.”

Additional security and staff are needed during Halloween weekend on campus and in Athens. 

“Given the crowds participating in the Halloween celebration, there will be many law enforcement, city officials, and university officials visible on campus and in town,” a university news release stated. “Law enforcement officers will be in uniform or may be in street clothes; they will always carry identification. University officials will be wearing green jackets labeled ‘OHIO Staff.’”

According to a previous Post report, the Athens Police Department made 35 arrests during last year’s block party, most of which were alcohol-related, with the exception of one theft and one obstruction charge.

Meanwhile, OUPD issued 69 citations as of 3 a.m. the Sunday of last year’s block party and sent 18 individuals to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail. According to a news release from APD, there were two assaults on OUPD officers, as well as one incident of obstructing a law enforcement officer.

Because of the high number of people who come to Athens for the block party and the number of arrests made during that time, police departments in Athens have to increase their staffs capabilities. 

OUPD Lt. Tim Ryan said OUPD does that for the protection of everyone on campus. 

“While I can’t talk about specific operational details, I can say that we increase our staffing for Halloween,” Ryan said in an email.

Additionally, OUPD uses help from other agencies in the area.

“We typically ask for assistance from at least a couple agencies,” Ryan said in an email. “We do work closely with the APD during Halloween, though typically in areas like Court Street, the Mill/Palmer area, etc.”

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle attended Athens Mayor Steve Patterson’s news conference to discuss safety at the block party. APD has made “notable enhancements” to its security plans this year, but he did not discuss the changes specifically.

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu