Members of Young Americans for Liberty held a protest Wednesday.

Young Americans for Liberty protests 'Freedom of Expression' policy

Young Americans for Liberty held a protest Wednesday night to show dissatisfaction for the interim “Freedom of Expression” policy. 

Jacob Koval, president of YAL, said the purpose of the protest was to show the group’s dislike for the interim policy at Ohio University.  

“We’re already sparking up good conversation with students on campus about freedom speech,” Koval, a junior studying political science and philosophy, said. “We tend to find that students from all walks of life and all cultural backgrounds and all political ideologies really do seem to share a value for freedom of speech and are very excited to partake in something like this. They are told you can literally write whatever you want on this, and usually almost always the messages are positive.”

The group had a large beach ball and asked people passing by to sign the ball. Koval said they chose College Green because it is a spot that receives a large footpath. The group did not have a protest permit, Koval said. 

“Today we are rolling it around College Green because we are approaching the day when President Nellis is going to have to make a decision about overturning the speech policy,” Koval said. “A great majority of political groups on this campus are against this policy so we wanted to partake in protesting this policy in a way that is sort of unique to our organization.”

Across from the protest was OU President Duane Nellis’ inauguration reception. Koval said the group chose Wednesday because they believe it is a good day in the middle of the week for an event. At least 100 people are expected to sign the ball. 

“I was not personally aware (of Nellis’ inauguration),” Koval said. “It does not change my intention. I think it is a great time to do it then. It is Free Speech Week for Young Americans for Liberty across the country, so we wanted to be able to do something like this this week.”

Mykal DeRamus, a sophomore studying psychology, is a member of Young Americans for Liberty, and Students for Liberty, which joined them at the protest. 

“We have a free speech ball to celebrate our First Amendment rights as Americans, but also as a way as one of the events that will take place pretty often,” DeRamus said. “I choose to participate because I think the ability to be able to counter-protest things is very important.”

Gabi Maylock, a graduate student studying critical studies and education, is the vice president for YAL and campus coordinator of Students for Liberty. Maylock said she is participating because she is a firm believer of free speech. 

“It is one of my favorite forms of activism,” Maylock said. “It is guaranteed in our Constitution.” 

Maylock said she does not support OU’s interim “Freedom of Expression” policy. 

“I think it’s oppressive,” Maylock said. “I think it’s limiting. We have to think about the bigger picture and what this is going to do for other institutions and how it is really going to limit student voice on campus. I think more spontaneous activism like this should be encouraged for all student groups on campus.”

@AshtonNichols_

an614816@ohio.edu