Seriously, don't eat Tide Pods, even though they have become the best meme of January. (photo via knowyourmeme.com) 

Meme of the Month: Tide Pods

I want to start off this month with a disclaimer: do not eat Tide Pods.

What a way to start off the new year! The internet decided to start off with some incredibly viral contenders for the meme of the month. If you have managed to ignore all indications of what it may be this month, you may be wondering: “Is it Little Knuckles, who knows da wae, is it ‘Somebody toucha my spaghet’ or might it be Logan Paul’s career in general?”

To give a short answer, no. It’s none of those things. Instead, we will find the answer as we gaze into the sinful shine of the forbidden fruit: Tide Pods.

I have so little to say about this entire situation because, honestly, why? I’ll be honest, I feel like I’m cheating here because I remember seeing memes about the delectable little sacs of detergent last year, but I doubt it would last. Needless to say, I definitely did not expect it to make a resurgence to a great enough extent where grocery stores are actually locking up these little husks.

It was funny back when it was a joke. That’s about it. Because there seems to be a disconnect where teenagers are actually taking this seriously, resulting in an unnecessary amount of calls to poison control, the update of this meme receives a hard 0/5. The comedy in the original version of the meme, however brings it back up to at least a 2.5/5.

Just remember, everyone: If you want to snack on forbidden fruits, stick to the apples that talking snakes offer up because #BadgersDontEatTidePods.

@lpasqual182

lp059813@ohio.edu