Donald Trump speaks to a crowd in Cincinnati on Oct. 13, 2016. (FILE)

President Donald Trump delivers first State of the Union address

President Donald Trump delivered his State of the Union Tuesday, addressing his “four pillars” for immigration reform and recognizing the stories of Americans who have been heroes, faced hardships and were successful during his first year of presidency.

The four pillars are creating a path to citizenship for DACA recipients, securing the border, ending the “visa lottery” and protecting the nuclear family by ending “chain migration.”

Trump’s plan is designed to allow those who meet education and work requirements, and show good moral character, the ability to become U.S. citizens. Trump said the plan ends the dangerous practice of "catch and release” while moving towards a merit-based immigration system that “admits people who are skilled, who want to work, who will contribute to our society and who will love and respect our country.”

“Chain migration” allows immigrants to bring unlimited distant relatives, which Trump plans to prevent by limiting sponsorships to spouses and minor children.

Trump asked Congress to close the “deadly loopholes” that allow undocumented immigrants like MS-13 to enter the U.S., including support of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Border Patrol Agents. 

“These four pillars represent a down-the-middle compromise, and one that will create a safe, modern and lawful immigration system,” Trump said. “For over 30 years, Washington has tried and failed to solve this problem. This Congress can be the one that finally makes it happen.”

Trump mentioned the all-time lows of African-American and Hispanic unemployment, changes in tax reform and put an emphasis on the efforts for disaster relief for those countries after the hurricanes.

“To everyone still recovering in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, California and everywhere else — we are with you, we love you and we will pull through together,” Trump said.

Trump invited small business owners of Staub Manufacturing from the Miami Valley in Dayton. The business’ success last year after the tax reform efforts allowed them to give raises, hire 14 more people and expand their business space. Steve Staub and Sandy Keplinger sat with first lady Melania Trump during the State of the Union.

Trump also invited Corey Adams, an “all-American worker” and employee of Staub Manufacturing, and said he plans to use his tax cut toward a new home and his two daughters’ education.

Politicians tweeted Monday about receiving tickets to the State of the Union, misspelled as “State of the Uniom.” The New York Times reported that Trump was not at fault, for the tickets were printed by the Office of the Sergeant at Arms and Doorkeeper. The tickets were reissued Monday.

Trump ended his first State of the Union address by stating as long as Americans have confidence in their values, “our families will thrive, our people will prosper and our nation will forever be safe and strong and proud and mighty and free.”

“The people dreamed this country. The people built this country. And it is the people who are making America great again,” Trump said. 

@juIaphant

je827416@ohio.edu