At-large city council members Sarah Grace (left), Patrick McGee (middle) and Peter Kotses (right) during the Jan. 16 Athens City Council meeting. (FILE)

City Council: Members to discuss Stimson Avenue improvements

Athens City Council members will discuss improvements to Stimson Avenue at council's Monday night committee meeting. 

Improvements will address safety concerns, intersections, lighting and storm drainage on Stimson Avenue from the intersection at East State Street to the intersection at Grant Street. 

The improvements will also make the area more accessible for people with disabilities. The street is narrow, and utility poles are in the middle of the sidewalk, restricting movement for people with disabilities and pedestrians on sidewalks. 

The area had 23 crashes from 2014 to 2017, and the number of crashes from 2014 to 2016 tripled, according to a report by the City of Athens. 

The project has a budget of $4.5 million. The Ohio Department of Transportation’s Small City Programs Funds will provide $2.1 million for the project. An application has been submitted for a $400,000 grant from the Ohio Public Works Commission, and the City of Athens Street Fund would cover the remaining amount of the project.

The City of Athens and Ohio University have collaborated on an “Eastern Gateway” that will increase traffic flow to the Stimson Avenue area, according to a report by the City of Athens. 

Previous improvements to Stimson Avenue included the completion of a roundabout that eased traffic on the road, according to previous Post report

Council members will also discuss applying for the Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council Energized Community Grant. The grant would be used for energy efficiency projects and related infrastructure, according to NOPEC requirements. 

@bloodbuzzohioan

sc568816@ohio.edu