Redshirt safety for Ohio University, Javon Hagen, breaks away from the defense on Nov. 9 against Toledo. 

Ohio Bobcats 2018 position group preview: Secondary

This is the eighth in a series of previews, which will cover nine Ohio position groups ahead of the 2018 season. The Bobcats start the season Sept. 1 at Peden Stadium against Howard. For more, check The Post in the coming weeks.

Aug. 20: Quarterbacks | Aug. 21: Running backs | Aug. 22: Receivers | Aug. 26: Tight ends | Aug. 27: Offensive line | Aug. 28: Defensive line | Aug. 29: Linebackers | Aug. 30: Defensive backs | Aug. 31: Specialists 

Today’s Position: Defensive Backs 

Projected starters: Right CB Jalen Fox (redshirt senior), SS Kylan Nelson (redshirt senior), FS Javon Hagan (redshirt senior), left CB Marlin Brooks (sophomore). 

Key backups: Left CB Marlin Brooks (sophomore), safety Jarren Hampton (redshirt sophomore), right CB Tariq Drake (redshirt sophomore). 

Newcomers: CB Justin Birchette (freshman), CB John Gregory (freshman), S Jamison Collier (freshman), S Isaac Gill (freshman), S Jeremiah Wood (freshman). 

Breakdown: The best secondary of the Frank Solich era at Ohio — perhaps one of the best in program history — could come in 2018. The Bobcats return their two starting safeties from last season, Javon Hagan and Kylan Nelson. 

It also helps that the two returners are two of the most vocal leaders on the team. They created the team’s first ever turnover belt this summer in the hope of forcing more turnovers, something that the secondary didn’t excel at last season. 

Can they be better in 2018?

"The safeties have the two guys who have maybe played the most, Javon Hagan and Kylan Nelson,” defensive coordinator Jimmy Burrow said at Ohio media day. ”They've started a lot of games. Kylan way back as a freshman at corner, now he's a full-time safety. Along with Javon we feel as if they're one of the strongest units in the MAC."

Hagan and Nelson won’t be alone in the effort. Joining them is corner back Jalen Fox. He’s a redshirt senior who has just as much playing time as the two safeties. He’ll be expected to lead a cornerback group that has experience, but nothing that compares to the safeties. 

In Fox’s 26 career games, he’s racked up 71 tackles, two sacks, three interceptions and 16 pass breakups. Both interceptions came last season, the biggest in a win against Kansas, which helped set the tone for the game. 

Across from Fox will probably be Marlin Brooks. A true sophomore who saw some time last season, he’s unproven but has the raw potential that Ohio looks for in its players.

Last season Ohio ranked 10th nationally in rushing yardage; it ranked 109th in passing yardage. 

Definitely not impressive, but as the focus shifts to Howard, the front seven that shut down the run last season is gone. It’s now up to the secondary to greatly improve on its play against the pass, so coaches can worry about the pass rush and stopping the run. 

It’s expected with the amount of experience in the back-end. Nelson is fully aware that the pressure is on, too. 

“Domination is how I put it,” he said. “We’re back for another season together. Expecting plays to be made. We’ll block for each other if one us grabs an interception.”

If the duos hope for their careers to end with smiles in Detroit, domination against the pass is a must. Ohio finished in the negative last year in the turnover margin. It’s all a known. 

"We have somewhat of an experienced football team at a lot of spots, but not all spots,” coach Frank Solich said at media day. “I think we're going to get off to a start in terms of what we're all about with leadership, energy and some talent at a number of spots. We'll see how it all plays out.”

Best-case scenario: The duo of Nelson and Hagan live up to the hype. They improve against the pass as expected, and the turnover belt causes more turnovers. The cornerbacks get the job done in third-down situations. 

Worst-cast scenario: The hype of each being captains goes to their heads and the idea of improving the pass defense goes out the window. Fox holds up his end of the bargain, but the other cornerback position can’t find the right fit all season long. 

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu