Ohio running back Maleek Irons carries the ball during the Bobcats’ game against Cincinnati on Saturday.

Football: Instant reactions from Ohio's 34-30 loss to in-state rival Cincinnati

CINCINNATI — Ohio (1-2) hadn't played Cincinnati (4-0) since 1981 and hadn't beaten the Bearcats since 1979. That streak continued Saturday afternoon at Nippert Stadium as the Bobcats were defeated by Cincinnati, losing 34-30 after blowing a 21-point lead. 

Below are fast reactions from Ohio's win:

Oodles of Odom

Heading into Saturday's game, it was obvious that the Bearcats would need to make an effort to keep Ohio wide receiver Papi White away from the ball. For most of the game, Cincinnati did that, forcing quarterback Nathan Rourke to turn to a different wideout. 

Whenever the Bobcats needed to extend a drive or put themselves in scoring position, it seemed like Rourke turned to Cam Odom, a redshirt sophomore. Plagued with dropped passes over the last two games, Odom grasped the opportunity and finished the day with 5 receptions for 114 yards. 

His best catch came in the first quarter. Cutting up the middle of the field on a slant, Odom extended himself to setup a diving 38-yard catch. That play put Ohio on the Cincinnati 21-yard line, setting up the Bobcats first score of the game. 

Stronger secondary

Yes, Ohio blew a 21-point lead and lost the game, but it seemed like it turned the corner for most of the game, only allowing one big-play touchdown. A week ago, the Bobcats allowed 379 yards of passing offense and three touchdowns filled with plenty of missed tackles. 

On Saturday, the Bobcats allowed 424 yards and 5 touchdowns. Ohio’s secondary secondary showed itself potential and seemed to force more incompletions, but it still struggled at times.

With another week of play behind him, Javon Hagan looked the part a little more. He finished with 11 tackles and a pass breakup. Ohio's secondary isn't a finished product like many had hoped, but Saturday was a step toward a complete product. 

Rourke roars back 

If the Virginia game was Rourke's awakening, he was in full force against the Bearcats. Countless times. he spun free of defenders, even pushing the ball for a pass at one point. His arm strength showed with deep passes to Odom; his dual-threat capability was evident inside the red zone after a miscommunication on a play, after which he ran past two defenders for a touchdown. 

Rourke did what he had to and a little more. Early in the second quarter with a lead, glimpses of what a Rourke-led Bobcat team is supposed to look like peeked through. Ohio also showed that it will draw up plays for the redshirt junior quarterback, such as a quarterback counter.

His only miscue came at the worst time, an interception from the 1-yard line with 52 seconds to go in the game. Rolling out to his right, he threw it into the hands of Bearcats' safety James Wiggins. Ohio's defense was unable to stop Cincinnati on the following possession.   

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu