You can make a pot pie with your leftover Thanksgiving turkey. (via jeffreyw on Flickr)

5 recipes for all of that leftover Thanksgiving turkey

After Thanksgiving, many households in the U.S. face a major problem — What do you do with all the leftover turkey? Those who can’t finish the large amount of leftover meat end up throwing it out which is a waste of food. Instead take the leftover turkey and turn it into a brand new dish:

Turkey Casserole

This is a midwest classic — a dish that works not just for turkey but for other poultry as well. The best part is the small ingredients list. It requires only turkey, shredded cheddar cheese, boxed stuffing and a can of cream soup such as cream of celery or cream of mushroom. First shred the turkey and place it in an oiled baking tray followed by a layer of the soup. Then cook the boxed stuffing and layer it on top. Finally, take the shredded cheese and spread it on top along with a small amount of sliced butter. Place in an oven preheated to 350 degrees and bake until brown.

Turkey Meatballs

This is a simple dish, but because the turkey is already cooked, one has to be careful not to dry it out. It requires shredded turkey, the dried up leftover dinner rolls that always remain after thanksgiving and eggs. In a large bowl, mix the ingredients together with your hands and roll them into golf-sized balls. Put in as many eggs in the mixture as needed until it’s sticky enough. Afterword, put them in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes to allow ingredients to properly congeal. Take the balls and put them in  a tray lined with baking paper. Place the tray and bake them in a 350 degree oven until cooked through. Afterwards broil until the outside of the balls are crispy. Then to finish mix them with cranberry sauce in a small pot. You can make the sauce yourself by simmering together cranberries, sugar, butter, and a small amount of water. Another option would be to buy the canned cranberry sauce.

White Chili

This dish is good if you want something that taste wildly different than Thanksgiving food. It requires: shredded turkey, turkey broth, garlic, two poblano peppers, one half a red bell pepper, two jalapeno peppers, one red onion, two cloves of garlic, two cans of white beans, a can of corn,  a teaspoon of cumin, two tablespoons of chili powder and salt and pepper to add taste. Take the garlic, mince it, and add it to a large pot covered with neutral oil. Then, take the other vegetables, those that are not canned, dice them and add them to the pot. Simmer them until the vegetables are sweated than add the seasoning and simmer for another two minutes to toast the seasoning. Lastly, take the shredded turkey, the turkey broth, the canned beans drained and rinsed, as well as the canned corn drained and rinsed, and add them to the pot. Make sure the broth covers the ingredients and if not add a little water. Simmer the soup on a low heat for one or two hours until you find the taste complete.

Open Face Turkey Sandwich

An open face sandwich is something quick and easy to make with Thanksgiving leftovers. Take a slice of bread or some old dinner roles and toast them in an oven or a toaster. Lay that flat on a plate and top it with a thick slice of turkey breast meat. Over the breast meat spread mashed potatoes and gravy. If you want to spice the dish up, add some sauteed bell peppers and onions on top of the dish. On a side note, you can also shred some turkey and mix it with the gravy before putting it on top of the sandwich.

Turkey Pot Pie

A pot pie might seem difficult, but to be honest it's a dish made up primarily of leftovers. In a large pot mix together diced onions, carrots, potatoes and minced celery. If you want, you can add half a clove of minced garlic or some diced bell peppers. Sauté the vegetables until browned then add rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and toast the herbs and seasoning for one or two minutes. When finished, add a cup of turkey broth, a cup of milk, and a spoonful of flour and stir until thickened. If it is too thick add milk, if it is too thin add flour. Place the mixture in a greased pie pan and cover the top with store bought puff pastry. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake until the top is golden.

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu