Sam and Dean split up in this week’s episode of ‘Supernatural.’ (via @feliciaday on Twitter)

TV Review: Things get weird on ‘Supernatural’ with a dose of double cases this week

In Thursday’s episode of Supernatural, the audience watched as Dean and Sam hunted separate cases, in two unrelated storylines. If you couldn’t watch the episode live, here’s what you missed:

Charlie hunts with Sam 

Apocalypse Charlie (Felicia Day) teamed up with Sam (Jared Padalecki) to hunt what would be a Musca, a man-fly hybrid, something the show hasn’t featured before. The hunt itself wasn’t spectacular, but Charlie provided the audience with a hefty character arc.

Charlie revealed that in her world she met a woman, the love of her life, but when the war started, she died. Charlie said after this hunt, she would move to the mountains and isolate herself once the dust settled, which apparently it has. By the end of the hunt, Sam convinced Charlie to stay in the bunker with people who care about her. 

Jack’s condition worsens

In a separate storyline, Jack (Alexander Calvert) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) found a case involving a necromancer that brought her old flings back from the dead.

Although it was different to not see Dean and Sam hunting together, it wasn’t altogether terrible. Dean and Jack have especially bonded and formed a father-son relationship, which is surprising considering where they started when Jack was born.

After the hunt, Dean gave his usual “you did good, kid” kudos when Jack started hacking up a lung. Only this time it didn’t let up. Jack started to cough harder and when he pulled his back, there was blood and he passed out. The episode ended with Dean rushing over, screaming his name.

The sickness could have something to do with Jack’s lack of grace. The best bet is Rowena will return to help Jack get his mojo back.

There was a change in editing style

The episode had a noticeable change in editing style similar to Hallmark movies. That fit with Jack and Dean’s case because Harper, the necromancer, was a book nerd who worked at the library. She had a damsel in distress air that is notorious for holiday television movies. The shots were lighter and happier and there were jump cuts, which is unnatural for Supernatural. The beginning sequence even has an audio layover.

Here’s what Twitter had to say about the episode:

Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu