Dug, a therapy dog named after the movie Up, gets petted by students on the fourth floor of Alden Library on April 26. (FILE)

Follow these 5 self-care tips this finals week

Exams are in full swing for students, which means caffeine consumption, sleep deprivation and anxiety is up. Finals and the holiday season can be stressful for many, so self-care is crucial to combat the blues. Here are five tips to help push through the pain:

Mind your mental health

According to the Center for Collegiate Mental Health’s annual report, anxiety and depression are the primary reasons students seek counseling. 

Counseling and Psychological Services is available to students all year, but especially during finals. Anyone can stop in on the third floor of Hudson Health Center for drop-in hours from 9:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. At drop-ins, students can see a counselor or get set-up with regular appointments.

If students can’t make it to drop-in or it is after hours, there are other resources. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s number is 1-800-273-8255 and the Crisis Text Line is 741-741.

Fuel up

Coffee to finals is like peanut butter to jelly. Cramming won’t help, especially when the study environment isn’t conducive. Donkey Coffee, 17 W. Washington St., is open 24 hours to help students study. For coffee recommendations, check out this recent Post article. 

Sleep is important

When the body sleeps, the brain internalizes and stores the day's events and memories into long and short-term memory. The brain needs that time to recharge and process what is studied. Not sleeping won't help anything. Put the textbook down and take a 30-minute nap. 

Eat your greens

Ordering D.P Dough or eating Union Street Diner at 4 a.m. might sound like a good idea, but your liver and bank account will hate you. Instead, stock up on some extra oranges or yogurt from the dining hall; those will fill you up and they're great on the go. Dorm-safe smoothies are a great alternative to Red Bull as breakfast. 

Socialize

It is important to talk to people. Being holed up in the library or a coffee shop can make it seem that finals overshadow the “real world.” Every once in a while, grab lunch at Bagel Street Deli, 27 S. Court St., or take a walk with a group of friends. Seeing familiar faces can go a long way. Interacting with your friends is a reminder that there's something to look forward to after the test.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu