‘Captain Marvel’ will hit theaters March 8. (via @captainmarvel on Twitter)

13 of the most anticipated movies of 2019

It’s a new year, which means new movies will come to theaters. As usual, superhero movies will dominate most of the box office, but that doesn’t mean those are the only films to see. Here are the movies you’re bound to hear about all year long:

Glass (Jan. 18)

M. Night Shyamalan is back, and this time he’s merging two of his biggest hits: Unbreakable and Split. In this mash-up sequel, David Dunn (Bruce Willis), Mr. Glass (Samuel L. Jackson) and Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy) are in a psychiatric hospital run by Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson). It seems like David Dunn is going to have to save the world once again when Kevin and Mr. Glass team up. 

Captain Marvel (March 8)

Just in time for International Women’s Day, Brie Larson steps into the MCU as Carol Danvers. The fierce superhero’s backstory will be unveiled just in time for Avengers: Endgame. In the post-credits scene for Avengers: Infinity War, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) pages Captain Marvel before turning to dust. 

Us (March 15)

Jordan Peele pretty much stripped his comedic image when he made Get Out in 2017. The first-time director won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay and solidified himself as a big-name director. In his follow up, Us, the director places himself more firmly in the horror genre with an all-star cast featuring Lupita Nyong'o, Elisabeth Moss and Winston Duke. You’re not going to want to watch this movie alone.

Pet Sematary (April 5)

Stephen King adaptations have undergone a major glow up in recent years, and Pet Sematary will be the latest addition. The book was first adapted in 1989. The film follows a family who moves to a rural home near a pet cemetary, and as suspected, weird and paranormal happenings ensue. 

Avengers: Endgame (April 26)

It’s the finale we’ve all been waiting for. After almost all of the new wave of Avengers were turned to dust in Avengers: Infinity War, fans have been waiting a year to find out how the remaining crew is going to defeat Thanos (Josh Brolin). There’s no telling what will happen, but what we do know is the trailer will make you feel all sorts of emotions.

Pokémon Detective Pikachu (May 10)

The absurdity of Pokémon Detective Pikachu is what makes this one of the most anticipated movies of 2019. Ryan Reynolds’ voice is unmistakable as the famous lightning-clad Pokémon, which just adds to the weird nature of the live-action film. 

Rocketman (May 31)

2018 brought us a totally gaga Queen biopic, and 2019 will bring us an Elton John that won’t break our hearts. Taron Egerton (Kingsman, Sing) assumes the role of the “Tiny Dancer” singer. The feature film will dive into the pop star’s rise into stardom and highlight his most popular moments. 

Toy Story 4 (June 21)

It has been nine years since Pixar and Disney released Toy Story 3 and almost destroyed everyone’s childhood in its gut-wrenching final scenes. But the group is back at it again in the series’ fourth installment. In this film, the toys go on a road trip, which should prove to be an interesting premise.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5)

It seems Marvel will have another dominating year with the sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming. Tom Holland is back as the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, but there’s really no telling what he’ll be up to with his fate hanging in the balance in the Avengers franchise. We do know Jake Gyllenhaal will assume the role of the villain and Zendaya will reprise her role of MJ.

The Lion King (July 19)

Disney’s live-action remakes have seen huge success, but the buzz surrounding The Lion King will likely result in a prosperous box office run. The story itself is enough to draw an audience, but couple that with a cast that is unheard of. James Earl Jones will reprise his role as Mufasa and Donald Glover will voice Simba, and it features Seth Rogen as Pumbaa, Billy Eichner as Timon, Beyoncé as Nala and John Oliver as Zazu. If you see one movie this year, it better be this one. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)

Quentin Tarantino’s star studded film Once Upon A Time in Hollywood comes just in time for the anniversary of the Manson Murders. The film is about the murder of film star Sharon Tate, which took place in 1969. Tarantino’s take is likely to be gruesome, but he casted some familiar faces for the movie, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell and James Marsden. 

It: Chapter 2 (Sept. 6)

Two years after the horrifying It was released, its sequel will hit the big screen. The highly anticipated follow up will debut a grown-up cast featuring James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, Jay Ryan, Isaiah Mustafa and James Ransone. Bill Skarsgård will be back as Pennywise the clown in what will surely be another unsettling installment.

Star Wars: Episode IX (Dec. 20)

J.J. Abrams will direct the final installment of the new Star Wars trilogy, which will premiere in the same month the other two have. Rey’s (Daisy Ridley) story will likely come to an end, with the fate of the complex villain Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) at the center of the narrative. The scope of the movie is being kept under wraps as usual.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu