11 songs turning 10 in 2019

It feels like just yesterday when our 10-year-old selves were blaring the hottest songs of the time, dancing around in our rooms and singing at the top of our lungs. 2009 brought us songs we still shamelessly know every word to, so it’s only right we get nostalgic and look back on some of the biggest hits turning 10 this year.

“Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” is one of her most popular songs to date. The Fame Monster was huge worldwide, but “Bad Romance” was definitely the highlight of the album and proves to still be a favorite amongst her biggest fans.

“I Gotta Feeling” by The Black Eyed Peas

A party song like no other, “I Gotta Feeling” is a song that is sure to put anybody in the mood to dance. The hit tune spent 14 weeks at number one on Billboard’s Hot 100 in 2009. It’s a pop anthem that still gets people hyped up for a good time.

“Halo” by Beyoncé

If there’s any musical artist out there who can make her fans feel the love, it’s Beyoncé. The powerful ballad won the 2009 Grammy for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and continues to be a popular love song today.

“Down (feat. Lil Wayne)” by Jay Sean

One of Sean’s most recognized songs is easily “Down.” If you didn’t jam out to this song as a young middle schooler, then you missed out. “Down” was the seventh best selling digital song of 2009, and if it’s ever played on the radio today, the nostalgia really hits home.

“Party In The U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus

Cyrus has written some serious bangers in her day, but “Party In The U.S.A.”’ is a pop song many know by heart. Whether it’s blaring in a car with the windows down or being sung at karaoke night, “Party In The U.S.A.” is still a hit even a decade later.

“Telephone (feat. Beyoncé)” by Lady Gaga

“Telephone” is an iconic pop song sung by two of music’s biggest stars, and it has a provocative music video to boot. The catchy tune stuck in our heads proves just how powerful a song can be after 10 years.

“Fireflies” by Owl City

“Fireflies” is one of those songs that takes you back to the best days of summer. It’s by far Owl City’s most widely known song, and though similar hits didn’t follow, the tune gained enough attention to be one of the most memorable songs of 2009.

“Empire State Of Mind (feat. Alicia Keys)” by Jay-Z 

This song had everyone wishing they were living in New York City and experiencing the life Jay-Z laid out in his lyrics. The song’s message is filled with hope that people should follow their dreams, no matter who they are or where they came from, and New York City is the place to do it.

“My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson

An upbeat song about two dysfunctional people who are perfect for each other had young teens everywhere wishing they had the crazy love Clarkson sung about. “My Life Would Suck Without You” came out on top in Time magazine’s list of Top 10 Songs of 2009.

“TiK ToK” by Kesha

The unapologetic lyrics about getting wasted and partying like there’s no tomorrow are more relevant to Kesha’s current fans than ever before. “TiK ToK” might be an old party anthem but one you can’t help sing along to when it plays on the radio. 

“You Belong With Me” by Taylor Swift

The queen of writing songs about love, Swift hit it out of the park with “You Belong With Me.” The music video where she plays the girl next door and the mean cheerleader is almost as entertaining as the actual song. It’s no surprise that some of Swift’s oldest songs are still listened to in 2019.

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu