Student Senate members listen to ideas presented by leaders of Ohio University student organizations during a town hall meeting on Oct. 22. (FILE)

Student trustee candidates speak on their platforms and advocacy at town hall

The eight student trustee candidates spoke about issues they hope to spread awareness about as trustees and how they would fit into the position at Thursday’s town hall.

The town hall was ran as a panel with Student Senate Vice President Hannah Burke asking the candidates questions. When asked about what issues they think students at Ohio University are facing, many candidates voiced their concerns about mental health problems. 

Ellen Gill-Franks, a freshman studying English-pre law, criminology and sociology, said knowing resources on campus can help students with a multitude of problems.

“One of my roles as student trustee is to inform students on the resources,” Gill-Franks said. 

Daniel Warmke, a graduate student studying media arts and studies, said that the university needs to reevaluate its existing programs. This would include removing some of the “hoops” students need to jump through to access resources. As a graduate student, Warmke also wants to advocate for graduate student services, not just underclassmen.

All candidates said that they see diversity and inclusion as a part of the student trustee’s role. For Warmke, being inclusive means lifting up people and finding out barriers that students face.

“It’s not enough to address everyone equally,” Warmke said. “There has to be a sense of equity as well.”

Adam Boesinger, a sophomore studying marketing and economics, said, as trustee, he would reach out to the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. The office has Diversity Ambassadors, and Boesinger would like to hear their perspectives.

“Diversity is one of our most important values as a student body,” Boesinger said.

Candidates were also asked to explain why they should be chosen as a student trustee. Levi Toback, a first year student in the clinical psychology PhD program, said that he has a unique perspective compared to other candidates. Toback has lived in Athens his entire life, so he knows the community. He also believes that being a graduate student sets him apart from other candidates.

“I have deep connections to this university … at deep levels,” Toback said.

Only five candidates will continue to be considered for student trustee. That decision will be made early next week, Burke said.

@abblawrence

am166317@ohio.edu