The Athens City Council in committee session on Monday, January 14, 2019. (FILE)

City Council: Members will vote on increase cost for Richland Avenue construction

City Council will vote on an ordinance to increase the amount of money for construction and construction services for the Richland Avenue Pedestrian Walkway Project at Monday’s meeting.

The Richland Avenue project is delayed until 2020. The project has been an ongoing discussion at City Council meetings, and the cost for the project has increased.

City Council will also vote on six other ordinances at the meeting. 

Another ordinance will extend the pilot residential curbside compost project through June 2019.

Council will vote to purchase and install Smart Parking Meters. Council will also vote for an issuance of $460,000 of notes by the city of Athens in anticipation of the new parking meters. 

Two ordinances are for Bounty on the Bricks fundraiser. One ordinance would close a portion of court street between Union Street and Washington Street on Aug. 3. Another ordinance for the Bounty on the Bricks, which vending will be allowed in a designated area for the fundraiser. 

The next ordinance would grant enhanced access to easement to allow utilities to property neighboring the Hope Drive. There will also be an ordinance authorizing a contract with the Washington County Commissioner. 

City Council will also vote on one resolution at the meeting. The resolution will assert Athens’ Constitutionally protected right to self-government and home rule.

@ColtAustenW

cw506217@ohio.edu