Junior Ashley Schooley and OSU junior Emma Kemp play beer pong during Congo fest on Friday, March 22. 

Congo Fest dies down as festgoers prepare for High Fest

Small parties of about 15-20 people dotted Congress Street beginning at 4 p.m. Friday to kick off Congo Fest.

One DJ played music for a crowd of approximately 50 people that lined a few porches and sidewalks, but the event died down by about 9:30 p.m. There was no significant police presence between 4 and 9 p.m.

“Just two years ago, the parties were lit and it was so much more exciting,” Jacie Ray, a senior studying marketing said. “Now we are down to two good parties.”

The main forms of entertainment for party-goers were beer pong tournaments and dancing. There were no themed parties this year. 

“There are not usually themed parties during fest season unless an organization like a fraternity is throwing the organization,” Alayna Hutchinson, a senior studying communication studies, said. 

Sarah Rieman, a senior studying Child and Family Studies, said that in past years, the parties would last all afternoon. 

“Every other house on the street had something to offer,” Rieman said.

Students slowly trickled from party to party, with some eventually making their way toward Court Street to continue the night. 

“I didn’t do Congo last year — it really isn’t as big as other Fests.” Hutchinson said. “It’s honestly something to do to entertain my friends that came into Athens before we go to High Fest tomorrow.”

@paigeproclaims

pm428317@ohio.edu