5 ways to stay motivated at the end of the semester

To many, the end of spring semester is when everyone finds themselves running low on energy to finish out the school year strong. It’s a challenging time for a lot of college students, especially with finals to think about. If you’re looking for ways to stay motivated going into the final weeks of the semester, give one of these five tips a try:

Put your phone away

It’s safe to say many of us find ourselves immersed in our phones, scrolling for hours at a time. Our phones are an easy distraction from papers that need written and deadlines that need to be met. Try putting down your phone for a few hours and be amazed at how much work you can actually accomplish. Your future self will be thanking you.

Create a good study environment

Speaking of distractions, you don’t want to study in a location filled with them. If you need to buckle down and focus on studying for an exam, avoid places with a lot of noise — like in front of your TV — or in an area where you’d expect to run into your friends. Rent a room out in the library where you can focus on the task at hand, or find a quiet spot on campus under the many trees. Finding the perfect study environment will make your studying a lot more effective.

Be present

In the few short weeks of the semester left, it can be hard to get out of bed and make it to class, but you never know what you may be missing if you don’t attend. Staying motivated can be hard when you feel like you don’t have all the information you need for an exam, but attending class can fill in the holes in your notes. Being present and engaged in class can help you stay on top of your game as you wrap up the year.

Change up your routine

If you’ve been feeling sluggish lately, try changing up your daily routine. After getting into the swing of things, a lot of us start going through the motions, but try mixing it up by doing things out of the ordinary, even if it’s just for a couple days. Go to bed earlier, try some yoga or maybe even go off campus to study if you feel the need to really shake things up. Experiencing a different routine can help your brain recharge and hopefully pull you out of a slump.

Take time for yourself

Sometimes it can be hard to let yourself relax when there’s a million things on your plate, but taking time to slow down is vital for your mental health. Forget you’re a student for a little bit and binge a Netflix show, take a hike on a scenic trail around Athens, or stay in and read a good book. College responsibilities are important, but making time for yourself to effectively get through the rest of the semester is a top priority.

@BayleeDeMuth

bd575016@ohio.edu