All seems good for Jane and Rafael—at least for the moment. (Photo via @_kendall_leigh_ on Twitter)

TV Review: Jafael is engaged and Mateo throws them a fake wedding on ‘Jane the Virgin’

As we near the end of the classic American telenovela Jane the Virgin, we are happy with Jafael’s reunion but left yet again with a cliffhanger. 

Last week’s episode ended the way Jafael shippers have been praying for all season: Jane (Gina Rodriguez) and Rafael (Justin Baldoni) got back together. 

This week, Rafael proposes to Jane in front of her family at game night, and everyone is thrilled, except for their son, Mateo (Elias Janssen), who doesn’t take the news as well as they hoped. He seems indifferent about the whole thing, so Jane and Rafael ask what is wrong. Mateo explains that he didn’t think their relationship would last, so Jane and Rafael promise Mateo they would get married the next day to prove it. 

Selfishly, Rafael also wants to get married quickly because he’s scared Jane will leave again. Jane decides she will go with the quick wedding at the courthouse to make up for leaving Rafael to pursue things with Michael (Brett Dier). 

Everyone doesn’t agree with the decision, however. Jane’s family and Petra (Yael Groblas) think the couple should wait, especially because Jane is on the rocks. 

Meanwhile, Krishna (Shelly Bhalla) and Milos (Max Bird-Ridnell) are still working together behind Petra’s back, which was discovered in last week’s episode. However, this week the audience finds out Petra had planned Krisha’s partnership with Milos, so now Petra can buy back Milos’ shares and own the entire hotel. 

During the execution of her plan, Petra manages to offend Jane by not taking her maid of honor request seriously. Petra wants to be Jane’s maid of honor, but it turns out she was just saying that as a cover story in case Milos was listening in on her conversations. Jane is hurt because she spent so much time making a beautiful maid of honor dress for Petra, so Petra decides to put the dress on and be the best maid of honor imaginable.

However, when she realizes Jane doesn’t want to get married so quickly and in the courthouse, Petra decides to take matters into her own hands and talk to Rafael. She tells him to put the past behind him and trust that Jane wants to be with him, and she’s not going anywhere.

“I guess a part of me feels like something might happen, and she’ll change her mind again,” Rafael said. 

Jane shows up to be honest with Rafael, and the two decide to postpone the marriage until they can do something really special. Rafael explains how he is feeling to Jane, and Jane assures him she isn’t going anywhere. 

“I want you to know that I want to marry you and spend my life with you,” Jane said, “because I chose you, Rafael, and I will keep choosing you every single day for the rest of our lives.”

After Jafael are honest with each other and decide to postpone the wedding, the two fight over who gets Petra to stand by their side, and Rafael wins. Rafael explains that Jane has her family to stand with her, but Petra has been the only constant in his life for a long time, so he wants her up there with him. 

Because Mateo was really looking forward to their wedding, and Jane and Rafael are assured they’re serious in their relationship this time, the two let Mateo throw a fake wedding with all of his stuffed animals. Everything seems to be happy and lacking any cliffhangers to keep the audience guessing until the narrator (Anthony Mendez) ruins the bliss. 

“Aw, if only their real wedding could go this smoothly,” the narrator said. “But alas, that’s not in the cards.” 

Could things go south for Jafael? With only six episodes left in the series, it’s unsettling to know that something bad is coming for the show’s favorite couple.

Here’s how audiences reacted on Twitter:

Jane The Virgin airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. on The CW.

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu