Ohio University backup quarterback Joe Mischler (#10) calls a play during the home game against Rhode Island University on Saturday, August 31, 2019. 

Football: The backup quarterback spot is still open

Ohio has a good problem in its quarterback room. It returns Nathan Rourke, a two-year starter who may finish this season as the most successful quarterback in program history.

There are still question marks behind him, though, as the Bobcats have yet to pencil in an official backup in the event their senior starter has to leave the game.

Throughout fall camp, redshirt freshman Joe Mischler and freshman Kurtis Rourke have competed for the immediate backup quarterback spot. So far, Mischler has the experience and a deeper knowledge of the offense. Rourke, however, might have the edge in arm strength

Because of the see-saw race, that’s why there’s an “OR” at the second spot on Ohio’s two-deep depth chart, and quarterbacks coach Scott Isphording isn’t stressing to make a decision anytime soon.

“They’re both young guys,“ Isphording said. “They’re guys that are going through the game planning process for the first team.”

Youth is a common theme throughout the offense for Ohio this season, and after the starting quarterback, that theme holds true.

Mischler and Rourke split reps with the second team throughout the fall camp, and both of them had their ups-and-downs.

They also bring different elements to the field. Rourke, at 6-foot-3-inches and 215 pounds, brings the size and natural arm strength to make the tough vertical throws. Mischler, who was in last year’s quarterback room and spent a whole season as the scout team quarterback, has the mental edge — he’s been in Ohio’s system longer. He knows the playbook and reads a little better than that of his competition.

“I feel like we’ve got two good players, (but) I hope we don’t need them,” Isphording said.

He’s not wrong, either. Both Mischler and Rourke had talented high school careers. In his senior season at Cathedral Prep, Mischler led his team to a 4A Pennsylvania state championship behind 3,255 passing yards, 38 touchdowns and six rushing touchdowns.

Rourke had 4,250 career passing yards and 63 career touchdowns at Holy Trinity High School in Oakville, Ontario.

With such raw talent and a natural competitiveness in the quarterback room, the two have made it clear that it isn’t a personal affair. It’s all about what’s best for the team.

They all like to crack jokes and hang out together off the field, but once they’re on the field, it’s strictly business. 

“We want to push each other,” Mischler said. “It’s very serious, and we’re locked in.”

Ohio’s backups have seen action in the recent past. J.D. Sprague entered the game against Marshall in 2015 after starter Derrius Vick went down. Quinton Maxwell played a series against Howard last season in the early goings of the game. Greg Windham played the entire 2016 Mid-American Conference Championship Game after an abysmal opening drive from Maxwell.

The difference between then and now? Ohio had the depth chart set in stone. It was clear who was more talented than others.

That’s something that hasn’t been shown so far in the early part of the 2019 season. Ahead of their game against Rhode Island on Aug. 31, the Bobcats coaching staff didn’t give a clear-cut answer as to who would appear in the game if the opportunity presented itself.

When Ohio built a 40-21 lead in the fourth quarter Saturday against Rhode Island, Mischler got the nod over Rourke for backup snaps. Even though it didn’t go exactly how he wanted – the only pass he threw was an interception – the one series he played in holds value.

How much opportunity the two will have in the next coming weeks might be minimal, however, with two road trips: first to Pitt, then to Marshall.

Both teams are coming off bowl appearances and return a bulk of talent that should keep the Bobcats’ starters in the game.

That’s on paper, though. No game is determined before it’s played, and injuries happen that the team must be prepared for. Ohio has the luxury of its two young and unproven talents, and perhaps not having the normality of a set depth chart is a good thing.

It allows the two to prove their worth and show they’d be ready to enter a game and manage the offense effectively. No matter what, Ohio has a good problem. After Nathan, Kurtis and Mischler have the talent needed to win games.

The Bobcats hope that won’t happen as long as their top starter is healthy, but if they do have to turn to their backup group, they’ll still be confident.

@matthewlparker5

mp109115@ohio.edu