Prepare to storm Area 51 this weekend; a Pink Floyd tribute band will perform at the Union

Today is Tuesday, Sept. 20th, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Visitors from across the world are gathering in the Nevada desert for Storm Area 51, a Facebook event that sparked a viral craze. Since its creation in June, 2.1 million people have RSVP’d. 

The small towns near the once-secret military research site, Rachel and Hiko, are preparing for crowds of people over the next few days. Along with the fascination regarding UFOs and conspiracies, the storm to the desert was initially sparked by the internet joke that invited people to “go see them aliens.” The music festival, “Alienstock,” and influx of people have instilled “hope and fear” for the neighbors and officials in the two counties near Area 51. 

“We are preparing for the worst,” stated Joerg Arnu, a Rachel resident. To combat the crowd, residents have installed “No Trespassing” signs and organized radio-equipped night watch.

The “Area 51 Basecamp” has promised 60 food trucks and vendors, trash and electronic services and along with security and medical staff.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

The Ohio Valley School of Celtic Dance and Culture is hosting an event to celebrate being halfway to St. Patrick’s Day. (The Post)

A Pink Floyd tribute band will play at the Union Bar and Grill on Saturday. (The Post)

Review: (Sandy) Alex G.’s House of Sugar is his sweetest album yet. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Meet Ohio football’s last non-conference opponent (The Post)

Ohio soccer looks to bounce back after two consecutive losses. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another beautiful day in Athens! Today will be mostly sunny with a high of 82 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler will voice Disney’s first official Jewish princess. (Kveller)

Kodi Lee, who is blind and has autism, won Season 14 of America’s Got Talent. (USA Today)

Ralph Lauren just launched a Friends-inspired collection in honor of the show’s 25th anniversary. (CNN)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu