The Dairy Barn Arts Center. (FILE)

ReUse Competition celebrates upcycling artists

ReUse Industries, an Athens non-profit which promotes local economic development and environmental sustainability, is hosting its fifth annual ReUse Competition on Saturday at The Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Lane.

The competition is a showcase of local artists’ creations made from used or discarded items. There are five categories in the adult division: artistic, clothing, furniture, home living, jewelry and fashion. There is also a youth division for artists ages eight to 18.

This event is also taking place at the same time and venue as the Power 105 / 97WATH’s 36th annual chili bowl.

“It’s the first time we’ve had partners. It’s exciting to be working with them,” Erin Hogan, manager of Athens Makerspace and ReUse on Union, said. “It’s at an amazing venue at the Dairy Barn -- and the chili bowl -- it’s going to be a great event.”

Hogan is also excited about the number of youth submissions ReUse received this year. Overall, there are 50 entrees.

Work showcased in the competition is often creative and varied. 

“We get varied upcycled items, from wedding dresses to chairs (with seats) re-woven with ties,” Hogan added. “We get upcycled jewelry too.”

Hogan said a major winning qualification is the amount of effort seen in a piece. 

“We look at how a person’s taken the time to really collect things that might be discarded and make them into something new,” she explained. “It’s the effort -- the re-imagining of something.” 

Everyone can enjoy the competition. To Hogan, seeing local art is one of the best things about the competition.

“(People should come out) to see a lot of amazing talents from your neighbors,” Hogan said. “It’ll be a great time, with the chili bowl and just hanging out and having fun.”

The Dairy Barn will be donating plenty of space for the competition, Cassie Meek, events and outreach manager at the Dairy Barn Arts Center, said in an email. 

“We will be contributing the entire parking lot, lobby and patio space for the annual event,” Meek said.

The ReUse Competition is a great way to showcase art that utilizes reused material, Zeb Martin, CEO of ReUse Industries, said.

“(The competition) really raises up and showcases a realm of art that’s being overlooked,” Martin said.

Martin has worked as CEO for ReUse Industries for a year now. One of the best parts of the job is being involved with the people of Athens, he said. To Martin, this competition uplifts and shows the “flowers of Athens.”

“It’s a competition that’s uplifting of local art, and uplifts the zero-waste idea,” Martin said. 

As CEO, Martin hopes to grow and continue the competition in the years to come. 

Judging is from noon to 1 p.m. and the winner will be announced at 2 p.m. First place winners from each adult category will receive a personalized plaque and a six-month membership to Athens Makerspace. Second and third place winners in each adult category will receive a personalized plaque as well.

Best in show winners, from all categories, will receive cash prizes. First place winners will receive $300, second place winners will receive $200 and third place winners will receive $100. 

More information about the ReUse Competition can be found on Facebook

@_kerijohnson

kj153517@ohio.edu