Twitter is letting its users hide unwanted replies to tweets; Ohio officials are taking action to increase hazing penalties

Today is Friday, Nov. 22, 2019. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Out of sight, out of mind. That’s the goal behind Twitter’s new tool that lets its users take control of the conversation by hiding any unwanted replies to their tweets.

There will now be a gray icon on all tweets that, by selecting it, will give the user the option to “hide reply,” moving the tweet to a separate page that users can only see by selecting the “hidden reply” icon. Twitter will also ask the user if they want to block the person who replied to them.

This is just the latest initiative from Twitter in their efforts to “make the platform less toxic.” The shift has also brought other changes, like Twitter’s commitment to stop accepting political advertisements ahead of the 2020 election.

Although the CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, opposes even fact-checking political ads, Facebook and Instagram are testing similar methods as Twitter, like the concept of hiding to improve mental health. 

In response to concerns of backlash from hidden replies being public knowledge, which could potentially foster increased toxicity, Twitter said it will “continue to get feedback on this.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Ohio officials are taking action to increase Ohio’s hazing penalties. (The Post)

Here are five takeaways from the fifth Democratic Primary Debate (The Post)

Square dancing at ARTS/West is back! Here’s what you need to know (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio wrestling will participate in its second tournament of the season this Saturday (The Post),

Here’s what to look out for in Ohio hockey’s game against Lindenwood (The Post)

Ohio women’s basketball looks to continue their winning streak against Incarnate Word this Saturday (The Post)

Athens Weather

The weather is looking a little unpredictable today. There is a 60% chance of early afternoon rain, then it will be mostly cloudy. The high will be 49 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

YouTube is considering putting advertisements for more mature audiences on more violent videos. (The Verge)

Coldplay will not be launching a global tour because of environmental concerns. (AP)

Some McDonald’s cooks and cashiers are suing the fast-food chain for failing to protect workers against violent customers. (NPR)

@CharCCaldwell 

cc670717@ohio.edu