Cars drive by the City of Athens parking garage on Monday, Sept. 16, 2019.

Uptown parking garage generates millions in revenue over decade

The city of Athens generated almost $2 million in revenue from the uptown parking garage over the course of the decade after factoring in millions spent on projects and repairs.

About $5.2 million was generated in revenue over the course of the decade, according to year to date revenue reports from the city.

Year to date reports from the past decade also show that over $3.4 million was spent on the garage. That totals to about a $1.8 million surplus in revenue.

The month to date and year to date revenue was the highest in 2015 with year to date receipts totaling slightly over $2.2 million. 

Month to date and year to date expenditures were also highest in 2015, reaching nearly $970,000. 

This year, year to date spending is at about $488,000, according to month to date and year to date data which were received in mid-November.

Month to date and year to date revenue documents which were received in mid-December, also show about $337,000 in profits from the garage. 

The estimated revenue from the garage in 2019 is $430,800, according to that same document.

The garage has recently undergone upgrades totaling $630,000 in addition to elevator repairs, according to a previous Post report

The garage has undergone structural work this decade, which added to costs associated with the garage, Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, said.

“There was structural problems that we had to take care of past the concrete,” Risner said. “Repair some of the steel work, that sort of thing. So it adds up. We have to do it because the building is so important, it’s the key feature of the city. So, we can't afford to have it down or offline for very long.”

The parking garage has a yearly budget determined by the administration for maintenance and personnel, Risner said. Additional appropriations are required for costs outside of those predicted.

“When we reach situations where there are structural problems or changes that need to be done, then we have to say that in addition to the budget for its maintenance now we have to have something for its renovation, that would require a special appropriation for a project,” Risner said. 

The parking garage is also different from some other buildings and structures in Athens because it generates revenue. The revenue helps offsets a lot of the building’s maintenance costs, Risner said. Then, the revenue is turned around and used for maintenance and other projects throughout the city.

@kirstenthomas36

kt531818@ohio.edu