A New York teen is petitioning to air the Super Bowl on a Saturday; OU faculty members are feeling left out of the budget crisis discussion

Today is Thursday, Jan. 23, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Some may argue that Super Bowl Sunday is a national holiday, but one New York teen is petitioning for Super Bowl Saturday. 

16-year-old Frankie Ruggeri is taking a stand for all football-loving teens with his Change.org petition. Gaining over 10,000 signatures as of Wednesday evening, it seems more people than Ruggeri think the change would be good. Ruggeri believes more people will watch the game, the NFL will make more money and everyone will be happier with the change.

According to a 2019 survey from The Workforce Institute, more than 17 million U.S. employees may miss work after Super Bowl LII. 

“He has a lot of passion in his heart,” his dad, Frank Ruggeri told CNN. “When he gets on one thing, he really sticks with it.”

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Many faculty members feel like they aren’t being included while decisions are being made about the university’s budget. (The Post)

The sounds of Athens are being celebrated Sunday at The Union’s Athens Noise Show 2020. (The Post)

The Ohio University Police Department received its first rape report of the Spring Semester. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio women’s basketball won 85-79 against Northern Illinois on Wednesday. (The Post)

Here’s how Bird Arena’s staff dealt with a tricky issue during Saturday’s Ohio hockey game against Calvin (The Post)

Ohio men’s basketball is going through the gauntlet of its rebuild. (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post:

Hosts George Shillcock and Mikayla Rochelle break down OU’s budget crisis on this week’s episode of Swing State of Mind. (The Post)

Athens Weather

You probably want to grab your coat again. Today will be cloudy with a high of 47 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab

You might also want to know…

Philadelphia Flyers’ mascot Gritty is under investigation for an alleged assault against a 13-year-old boy. (NBC News)  

The first confirmed cause of China’s mysterious coronavirus has been detected in the U.S. (BGR)

NFL quarterback Eli Manning has announced his retirement. (The New York Times)

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu