10 songs to vibe to this Valentine’s Day

The love-hate relationship that surrounds Valentine’s Day stems from hopeless romantics’ fondness toward receiving stuffed bears, conversation hearts, jewelry and roses, and cynics’ repulsion at the thought of cheesy gifts and over-priced dinner courses. However, one thing everyone loves and can enjoy on Valentine’s Day is music. Whether that be listening to love songs, break-up songs or empowering songs, there’s something on the playlist for everyone: 

“L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole

What better way to begin a Valentine’s Day playlist than with one of the most recognized and beloved classics? Nat King Cole’s “L-O-V-E” is an oldie that just about everyone seems to know. Because Cole’s songs carry a classical jazz tune, the song would be paired best with a lavish dinner date and a bottle of wine. “L-O-V-E” has aged like fine wine and, therefore, would be most enjoyed by and suited for serious and long-term relationships. 

“It’s You” by Ali Gatie

“It’s You” is a tune that gained popularity almost immediately after its release. The mellow and savory tune invites all people to listen because of how alluring Gatie’s smooth vocals paired with the harmony are. Yet the lyrics are the final component to “It’s You” that makes it so prominent. Gatie’s lyrics are relatable and universally felt as he sings about not wanting to be broken again and wanting his new love for the rest of time.  

“Tattooed Heart” by Ariana Grande

Grande’s 2013 song “Tattooed Heart” is one that still remains as exceptional as her new material. The song describes Grande not wanting much out of her partner besides unconditional love and exclusiveness, something that is rare in the modern era and something that many millennials secretly desire. 

“If The World Was Ending (feat. Julia Michaels)” by JP Saxe

“If The World Was Ending” is a fairly new song, written and sung by two wistful artists, and is currently at its peak among listeners. The two sing about knowing a relationship has run its course and is ultimately over but still wanting to spend the night with each other if the world was hypothetically ending. Although it can be seen as a breakup song, it is also about not wanting to let go of someone you once loved. Many people can connect with the song, as it is inevitable to not think of someone you would want to spend your remaining minutes with. 

“Missing You” by Blake McGrath

Although “Missing You” is an underrated 2017 single that most probably don’t know, it undeniably delivers listeners with all of the emotions. McGrath has openly confirmed the song is about his seven-year partner whom he misses only seconds after leaving him. Despite the song embodying a melancholic tone, McGrath’s lyrics describe a relationship everyone should strive for: one that makes you feel as if you cannot get enough of the other person. 

“Best I Ever Had” by Drake

This Drake throwback presents fans with an upbeat, confident love song that includes the empowering lyrics every girl wants to hear, such as the iconic “Sweatpants, hair tied, chillin’ with no makeup on, that’s when you’re the prettiest / I hope that you don’t take it wrong.” Overall it’s a song all about loving, appreciating and assuring your partner there is no one out there better than them. 

“Lover” by Taylor Swift 

The queen of breakups and relationships seems to have officially found her lover and gotten her love life together, which means maybe it’s time everyone else does, too. In the most dream-like of songs, Swift sings about knowing she has positively found her person and wanting to do all of the mundane things in life with them. Feeling this way may still seem like nothing but a dream to most, but if Swift can settle down, anyone can.

“Let’s Fall in Love for the Night” by FINNEAS

The up-and-coming artist’s most pop-like song somehow made the playlist over his sorrowful others. “Let’s Fall in Love for the Night” feels most appropriate to include for college students who avoid relationships in order to continue having fun and flirting. FINNEAS’ song suggests that one can enjoy or even fall in love for just one night without expecting anything following the hookup.

“Love On The Brain” by Rihanna

Mostly everyone can relate to having a major crush on someone when beginning to develop feelings for them. Rihanna’s “Love On The Brain” describes love as a presence that can make anyone feel and act differently than they normally would. Being lustful can sometimes be painful, which Rihanna recognizes as an essential part of falling for someone and losing control over emotions. So if this Valentine’s Day, you’re feeling as if the person you want so badly doesn’t want you back, know it’s typical, and don’t let it get you down. 

“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” by Beyonce

Lastly, for the majority of students who run from relationships or simply cannot find the right person, embrace being single on Valentine’s day and listen to empowering music that has the ability to make anyone feel as if they’re too good for someone anyways. Singleness can be refreshing. Independence can be freeing. Therefore, soak up the time you have alone, and focus on bettering and loving yourself. 

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu