Netflix gained 15 million subscribers since March; here’s how Athens residents can safely move out of their homes during the coronavirus

Today is Thursday, April 23, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Since mid-March, Netflix has gained 15.8 million new subscribers to its streaming service. The boom began as people began confining in their homes due to the spread of the coronavirus. After the surge in subscriptions, Netflix received 7.2 million more members than originally expected — boosting its quarterly revenue to $5.77 billion as well.

Although Netflix is one of the few companies gaining from the global pandemic, the question of matter right now is if the streaming service will continue releasing original shows and movies. 

“While our productions are largely paused around the world, we benefit from a large pipeline of content that was either complete and ready for launch or in production when filming stopped,” stated a letter sent to shareholders. Despite production being halted, Netflix has a competitive advantage against other streaming services, as they already have new titles and complete seasons ready to go. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Local law enforcement has made changes to day-to-day operations but is still doing everything possible to keep Athens residents safe and healthy. (The Post)

Here’s how Athens residents can safely move out of their residences during the coronavirus pandemic (The Post)

Looking for fashion inspiration? Here’s eight of the hottest trends for summer 2020 (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

After spending two seasons with the Ohio men’s basketball team, Nate Springs announced Monday that he will be transferring to Kennesaw State. (The Post)

Athens Weather

Grab your umbrella if you end up taking a stroll outside. Today will be cloudy with 100% of rain showers and a high of 63 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

New York residents submitted 14,000 complaints to the city’s police about people violating social distance rules. (Wall Street Journal)

The first U.S. COVID-19 death took place in California, three weeks before what was believed to be the nation’s first death in Washington. (USA Today)

Air quality has improved in these nine major cities after the coronavirus lockdown. (The Verge)

@maadilewellyn

ml203417@ohio.edu